Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Let's Get Dangerous

Dealing with traffic was my theme today. Going home from work was a challenge and driving from home to my aunt's house was almost as beautiful as my drive home from her house.

Traffic was still ugly all around the heart of Tampa for the funeral procession for a slain officer. I was sidetracked for another 15 minutes going home. Walked Cabal, fed and played with him before leaving. The drive to my aunt's house...Hmm. I think I would have rather spent the time getting root canals with half the Novocaine. Seriously.

Ate dinner with everyone when finally I arrived. All of us had a different food selection for some reason. My aunt was being weird. My selection had dungeness crab, eggplant made the Flip way I like and some other fish stuff I will not explain. All served with rice. That was my bribe for watching Nan while they go out to a church meeting.

Nan was very sprightly. Her mind is not as sharp, but damn can she get around her walker! They've taken most of the rails off her bed, too, so she has more freedom. We watched television and talked a bit. She didn't go to bed early. My dear little q-tip was still awake at 10:30pm when my aunt and uncle got home.

I was a little miffed at the lateness. It can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes to get from her house back to mine depending on traffic. When I am tired, I suffer from night blindness so driving is probably not a good idea. My aunt's house makes me exhausted for some reason.

I called my lifeline (Angie) tonight in Los Angeles to talk to me while I drove home, but let her go a few minutes into it so she could eat her dinner that had just arrived. I broke the rule of not letting go of your lifeline when you really need it.

Made a quick decision and decided to try to get home in 30 minutes which means I drove like a mutha. Didn't even bat an eyelash when the three highway lanes turned to one lane and from speeds of 65mph to 15mph. As soon as it cleared back to three lanes, I kicked it up to 80mph. I had a goal which kept me focused. This was not a great idea I'll admit now that I am home safely.

The way I drove would have made Tawny's husband Jeff sick. He drives very aggressively, but not to the point of not caring like I did even through the regular streets. Surprised I wasn't stopped for speeding several times (or wreckless driving)...Sigh. My angels were working overtime tonight.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: