Thursday, July 26, 2007

Would You...Again?

Someone asked me if I would do an overseas distance relationship again. It's only been about four days, but I know my answer...

I am here in the U.S. because my mother moved for a long distance relationship. The gentleman I call my dad met my mother in the Philippines when he was stationed there. Their relationship was based upon the exchange of letters and tour of duty visits from him. They didn't have instant messaging, e-mails, text messages or calls on cell phones or webcams, but they made it and that was in the late 70s/early 80s. My aunt and uncle went through the same thing in the 60s and they've been married for over 40 years. I have countless other female relatives who have done the same.

The true question is: If you have an opportunity for love and that opportunity takes you to the other side of the world away from your family and friends, would you go? My answer is still yes. If your family and friends truly love you, they would never begrudge you your opportunity for happiness. Internet, cheaper international calls, and flight can make staying in touch with them easier. Sometimes you just have to go for it regardless of what the outcome may be. This one I have just gone through didn't turn out well, but it wasn't horrible during.

The pursuit of love should be an adventure. It should fill your heart with the quick beat of anticipation even if it has to be miles away from your home. Denying the opportunity could keep you from something so much larger than what you have known. Why wouldn't you do everything in your power to make it happen?

The caveat is that it takes two. If your opportunity for love isn't meeting you halfway with a lifesaver, then you need to swim to another shore where hopefully Rafael is waiting for you with a pina colada under a cabana.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: