Friday, July 06, 2007

Just a Touch

Getting to be Groundhog Day again. It was Sunday, right? Ugh. A bit of a rude awakening when I realized it wasn't. Maybe I should have taken the last two days off just to avoid the confusion. My co-worker Bridget had the same problem. She forgot to set her alarm clock because she thought it was the weekend. Racing around trying to get she and her son ready proved quite a feat this morning. Luckily, tomorrow IS the weekend.

Jill was supposed to meet me for lunch, but her revised schedule didn't permit it so we agreed to have lunch tomorrow instead. I was looking forward to going to the Cheesecake Factory for some Baja Chicken Tacos. Had to settle for something else from the cafe downstairs. Ooh, gourmet! :::gag::: Still enjoyed the hour though with Lisa laughing at ourselves.

My boss encouraged me to go home early again today, but I didn't leave too early. I'd rather miss the traffic. Went to the store for sundry items and Cabal's treats. Dare I go home without my beast's treats? Try saying that a few times...

As an AGOL, it takes me a bit to get ready in the morning. I have this unnatural obsession with making sure my hair and make-up are perfect. I've been wearing make-up since I was 12 so you can imagine how attentive I am to every detail. My stint as a make-up artist was a natural move. I subscribed to Cosmopolitan magazine (when it was still good) at 15. It was when Cindy Crawford, Paulina Porizkova and Christy Turlington made multiple covers. Back then I didn't understand the practice of airbrushing or retouching.

Spent some time examining the before and after pictures of the links on this page: Digital Retouching. I was morbidly fascinated by each shot. My gosh! No wonder why we have a distorted view of women. They are not real either. They are a digital best of themselves! Trust me...I invite you to check them all out. It is incredible. If there are holes in your hairstyle, unwanted hair, blemishes, etc., it can be taken out. Your body can be shrunk and stretched to appeal to the target audience.

Perusing the pages almost made me sick. Here I have been spending hundred of hours over the years emulating the glamorous look of the magazines and may I say that I do fairly well. (Check out my AGOL pic on this page. That was taken by me in my bathroom using a cellphone camera.) All I've really needed was a digital retouch artist. How come no one told me this sooner?

Gone so far as modifying my behavior to not rub or touch my eyes and even eating in such a manner where most of my lipstick stays on after a meal. I've been accused of having my lips tattooed. I just cut everything up...even sandwiches and chicken wings.

My hair? Don't get me started. Every strand is accounted for and sprayed or styled in place. Do you take a mirror and look at the back of your hair and make sure it looks decent from the back? I do. Ah, yes, Yummy knows all about this and respects me enough to let me be freakish. He's the only one allowed to mess up my hair, but even he's a little afraid. Tawny's hubby Jeff equates my getting ready time to Japanese tea ceremony. Maybe just a touch.

I know this sounds very extreme and over the top. And it is. It is a craft and I am committed to it. A little madness keeps me going or was that a little mascara? Ha!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: