Saturday, July 14, 2007

Walk and Chew Gum

Played skypee with Yummy first thing this morning. We had some fun googling each other's city and following hybrid maps (satellite photos with regular street map labels) of where we live. I found out this week online via BBC that Brighton has been properly done on Google Maps. They showed a picture of the Palace Pier from a certain vantage point looking like a pendant dangling from the shoreline necklace in the English sea.

Getting to the part where I showed him which parking spot I usually occupy took a bit. We'd have to work on our giving directions and listening skills before we ever took a serious hiking trip together. It was a great exercise in communication. Knowing me, we'd have a handheld GPS unit with us. Why stress out?...Yummy said the nicest thing to me before we hung up, See you tomorrow. I can't wait! (AGOL smiling secretly.)

Two of my girlies, Kimmee and Kristey, joined me this morning in The Saturday Four. I just made that up. Tawny couldn't make it thanks to nasty and painful blisters she developed while walking with new sandals this week. The gals and I were able to shave off 15 minutes from our time which meant we walked four miles in one hour 15 minutes (18.75 mins./mi.). Yeah, baby!

I felt tremendous triumph that the heat and humidity didn't kill us too much. Stopped for a minute a few times so I could properly drink my water instead of trying to maneuver the water bottle while walking and chewing gum. Too afraid to choke on the gum. We hustled along the shared path while trying not to get run over by the Lance Armstrong wannabes on their bicycles.

In the afternoon, I picked up Tawny earlier than agreed upon to drop off something to her husband in the art studio downtown and then attended a Pampered Chef cooking show at Lisa's house. The consultant did not work my nerve as they usually do. She was very upbeat and funny as she quickly demonstrated the products while preparing two dishes for us to eat later. We saw Jill there, too, with her mom and daughter. It was a very entertaining afternoon for the ladies.

I've been reading more of The Essence of Style by Joan DeJean which is her account of attributing the culture of high luxury living to the French, more specifically Louis XIV. Just this morning on public television, I was reminded that the neckties were initially invented in Croatia, but it was the French who elevated it to new heights of fashion. The French seem to take almost hedonistic pleasure in food and fashion. Certainly no one can fault them for their joie de vivre.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: