Thursday, July 05, 2007

Indian Spices

The day after a holiday in the middle of the week just sucks. Plain and simple. In my mind, I was thinking it was the weekend or another Monday. It took a few minutes to reorient my internal timeline. Um, how is that accomplished exactly?

Resolved issues and organized things at work. Snoresville. I am afraid that if I have too much fun at work, they'll start charging me for admission. The entertainment factor is low at the moment so there is no chance of that happening. Better chance of me getting my acrylic nails taken off. Now that's funny...

CNN.com had this disturbing article on Indian Hindu widows and how they are ostracized by their families and forced to live like pariahs for the rest of their days. Most make the traditional pilgrimage to the holy city of Vrindavan. They cannot remarry and are considered financial burdens and not worth anything. Their heads are shorn bald, forced to wear white, live without dignity by begging and living in the streets, essentially waiting to die. What kind of society still subscribes to such a barbaric tradition while progressing with bullet speed towards technology?

Kathy and I had already planned last week to eat at The Taj tonight for some Indian fare. There were a few bites of my Matak Paneer where I thought of those wives who helped create the exotic taste of the dish I was enjoying. Did they end up making the journey to Vrindavan? I'd like to think not. I said a silent thank you for the women who help shape the meal I was eating. Women whose ingenuity in mixing the spices resulted in the complex and exciting taste of India.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: