Thursday, July 26, 2007

Giant Burrito

Had a bit of a challenge getting my boss' going away cake from my trunk on the fourth level garage to being hidden in one of Bridget's upper storage bins at her desk. First of all, I called Bridget's, the temp's and Tawnyia's cell phones to get help. All of their cell phones went to voicemail. Great, I will have to make two trips since I couldn't maneuver everything with my laptop wheelie bag.

By the time the elevator reached the first floor, Bridget rang back. She ran down and met me at by the garage and we ascended back up the fourth floor garage to retrieve the cake...We merrily made it back up inside our own building on the third floor. Just outside these service elevators is a small vestibule. You need card access to get further inside our floor and just before we were making it inside our area, I noticed my boss about 10 feet away to the left where we had to go. I quickly stopped and went back inside the vestibule letting Bridget know we could go no further. We were trapped!

I looked at Bridget and told her I would come back for her so I left her holding the cake. I made it past my boss to drop my stuff off my desk and made it back to the vestibule. Bridget and I were whispering what to do because our boss was still talking to this idiot in the hall.

I had no choice but to take Bridget on an elevator ride to our mailroom on the fourth floor while I made a call to Tawnyia to be our scope. She called a few minutes later to let us know he was now in an office if we wanted to make a break for it. Racing in our high heels, we rode the elevator and zoomed back down to our floor where we hid the cake undetected. Whew!

Our meetings with our interim boss was funny and made us more comfortable with the transition. This was important for Bridget and me. Our only concern was if we would like our new boss, whomever that gets to be. They were interviewing some folks that day.

Tried to get the going away card signed by different people but every time I turned around, it seemed my boss was nearby. My covert plan was not working very well, but I received enough signatures.

Four of us went to The Cheesecake Factory where we enjoyed time away from work as a group. We laughed so hard, we were in tears. We were definitely going to miss my boss' sense of outrageous sense of humor. He ordered this giant chicken burrito pictured below. After my boss made a healthy dent in it, the genius waiter had the nerve to announce that it weighed a pound and a half. Hello! I think we could have figured that out AND you probably shouldn't remind your guests they just pigged out. Duh.



We were stuffed and hurting from a big lunch complete with decadent cheesecake desserts Thinking about the surprise cake in a few hours made both Bridget and I queasy...The cake was later presented nicely with other people in tow. My boss was surprised and pleased. All efforts worth it.

It was a quiet ride on my way home tonight compared to all the hubbub earlier in the day. The tears that never came this morning threatened to overflow on the drive home triggered by a song on the radio. I switched to a Spanish station where the music was upbeat. As I listened, I realized that the song was about heartbreak. Geez! I just can't get away from it even in a Spanish station. Damn me for understanding the words!

Cabal and I chilled in the evening. He loved getting extra attention. At least HE was happy. That's all that matters isn't it?
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: