Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Wright Stuff

Began the day with visiting the bank to activate my replacement debit card. I couldn't bring myself to change to a new PIN number. I've had the same one for about 15 years, I think. Talk about a habit! I have too many logins at work to remember not to mention all my other online stuff. We've become a culture of Username and Password. I'd like at least one of those to remain constant.

Saw an e-mail announcement with a picture of my division's new president and was startled. The feeling that I got was that he was one foot in the grave. I'd like to offer more of an explanation but just in case my company finds my blog...forget it. My impression of him wasn't helped much when I had to help direct him to the garage when I got off work. Strange feeling indeed.

My boss took us all out to Wright's Gourmet Deli which is a Tampa institution. I love the fact that their consistency of excellence has held through the years. I've been going to them since I was 18. It was my boss, his boss, Bridget, the temp and me stuffing ourselves for a food coma in the afternoon. Next time Bridget and I are ordering half sandwiches. Damn, it was just so good.

The only freakish moment was with the temp. This woman is a piece of work. My patience only goes so far. She found a way to complain. Geez! Our boss is spending his own money and not expensing it. He's driven us in his cushy vehicle and is sharing something important to him since he is a part of the company. I wanted to scream, Don't be so bloody rude! You've never been here. This is a great place to be so sit down, eat, be quiet, be thankful and enjoy. God forbid you don't include her or she'll harp on the fact. Yes, my boss heard her complaining that she didn't get a piece of rum cake he brought Bridget and me last week. She was on vacation. Are you feeling me here?

Spent the rest of the afternoon working diligently while trying to remain awake. Bridget was having a more difficult time of it so I made her take a walk with me around the building. It was hot and humid. I can't wait for the cooler weather.

Stopped at the store to get some odds and ends on the way home. It was a quiet endeavor. I noticed that thing that happens with me where the waters seem to part wherever I went and how helpful and polite everyone was to me. It goes beyond the everyday niceness. It is like they can't wait to do me a favor. Strangers strike a conversation with me and ask me my opinion. I get waited on first even being a latecomer to a line. The guy at the exit door gives me an extra pep of Have a Good Evening, Ma'am. It is borderline embarrassing. I need to bottle that thing somehow and make money at it. The really good part was when a little boy in a car, waiting with a relative, was watching me like a hawk while I unloaded my cart and got into my car. I waved at him and smiled and was rewarded by him releasing his pacifier to smile back.

In other news in case you missed it, there is something new in travel: Singapore Airlines' New Airbus A380. You can take a closer peek at panoramic shots of the inside. Use your mouse to swirl around and take a gander at the ultimate comforts in traveling.

And then...if you're not up to that, check out the latest in gourmet food. My Hawaiian cousins can't be wrong. It is really tasty when you make it with fried rice. I believe it deserves to be its own food group next to chocolate.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: