Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Nice Evening with Nan

Maneuvered through traffic nicely and called ahead that I would be 30 minutes early. Arrived at my aunt's house about 6pm with a hot Starbuck's Caramel Macchiato to be reheated later before I leave. I had already sucked down the iced version in the car. The house makes me fall asleep as it is six degrees hotter than my Antartica version. Ick.

The whole visit was really pleasant. Usually one part sets off my temper, but not tonight. I was animated (thanks to coffee) and my conversations with my aunt and uncle were lively as I caught them up on AGOL Land. My aunt prepared me a feast of Alaskan crab legs, eggplant prepared a Filipino way and some stinky dried anchovy stuff plus a fresh pot of jasmine rice. What could be better? Ended up denting the Alaskan crab legs, a half-serving of the eggplant and no anchovy. I was sent home with leftovers to enjoy later.

Nan was sweet as usual and she responded in light conversations. She was tired so her memory started skipping around and when I would ask her questions that would force her to remember things, she ran into some difficulty to which I smoothed it out and hopped into another subject I knew she would have the answers.

She kept being amazed at how many answers I would have while watching Jeopardy. Not sure if she knows I am a closet geek. Nan, on the other hand, amazed me with a weird habit she's adopted. She was going through her photo albums and chucking away pictures from them. I enquired as to what she was doing and she said she was getting rid of pictures she no longer wanted to keep. That statement would have been fine if it weren't for some of the subject matter she was tossing. Some were pictures of her late husband. Mentioned it to my uncle later and they already knew and would sift through the paper bag at night.

My aunt and uncle were home from their church meeting one hour sooner than I thought they would get home which was great. I reheated my cup of coffee and my aunt packed my goodie bag to take home. There were no road closures on the highway and good music was playing on the radio. And the most important part? My four-legged beast was happy to see his mistress in a good mood and early home; he received extra playtime.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: