Thursday, October 18, 2007

Charity Case

Sat in my temp's cube and wanted to hang myself just to spare myself from the agony of sitting in her area. The one lady who sits on the other side of the cube wall is a woman I do not care for because she is loud and classless. She's on personal calls most of the time at least the couple of hours I was there. Across the aisle from me is another lady I don't care for either. This woman has to chime into conversations and give her unsolicited opinion. Bridget doesn't like her either because she tends to go on and on about her little dogs and what (outfits) they wore. We're a tough crowd to please.

Okay, this is going to sound slightly pathetic but here it goes. At Cafe Shi'thole (pron. she-toe-lay according to demented IT Guy Kevin) downstairs, you can get a card punched for every lunch you buy. After 10 lunches, the 11th is free. It took me a couple of months, but I was ready to get my free lunch. I had decided this morning that I would get a Reuben Sandwich because I wanted the tartness of the sauerkraut.

I arrived back on my floor with the only sandwich worth eating downstairs at Blandville. Said hello on my way into the breakroom to a couple of buddies. Picked up a some parts of the newspaper to read and as I was about to sit down, I promptly dropped my lunch on the floor. No salvaging it at all. Crestfallen, I cleaned up the mess for about five minutes. I was tired and not feeling well to begin with and I didn't feel like battling the lunch line to get another one so I sat down and moped. Other people offered me parts of their lunch, but I wasn't to be appeased.

I texted Tawny about the incident and in her second visit to me in the breakroom, she took out a small frozen meal from the freezer and handed it to me. I refused it and she said she got the wrong thing at the store anyway and she was going out to lunch with her husband. In the microwave, my lasagna cooked. Lunch was saved. Good thing, too, because I was about to get into a second package of crackers. You're right, Tawny, you are nicer than me, but I am still more thoughtful than you...little overachieving do-gooders we are. Ha!

My boss brought Bridget and me rum cake from his favorite deli so I shared that ginormous piece with Tawny later in the afternoon as a thank you. Bridget and I have our boss trained to bring us goodies if he goes somewhere good and he still adheres to our wishes not to be talked to until after 9:30am. You don't want to disturb this Dream Team before we get settled in the morning.

Listened to reggae mostly which helped calm the day until I decided I was too tired to function well and left. Stopped at the grocery store for a few things including a sympathy card for Tawny's mother-in-law. The relative who was on life support passed this week. They've been going through her room at home and found some happy surprises which cheered them like pictures they never knew existed taken through the years. Not much else, but I was glad to be home and resting in my own space.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: