Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Magic Happens. It Does.

I bought some grits with some bacon for breakfast at the cafe in my work building. As I rounded the corner with my goodies, I saw Tawny and three other coworkers enjoying their meals. One of them shouted, Sarah smile! I missed a step and looked at Tawny whose eyes became large as saucers. We explained that Tawny had texted me on Saturday morning about the very same thing from the Hall and Oates song. He said that Tawny hadn't said anything to him. I told him I knew because of her reaction. I showed him my pearly whites and laughed. The universe was reminding me again...

A quick run down until we get to the next section: I received a notice about an error in an e-mail address. See extra entry today for more of it....Shared a nice lunch with Jeff and Tawny...My boss went home because of one his sons being ill (poor babykins) which made Bridget and me thankful to not be in desperation for tranquilizing devices...Shared gifts in the afternoon with Bridget that I received in the mail. We love cool new stuff and the items cheered us immensely.

The next portion is about magic...
Now I have an older friend and a newer friend who if I shut my eyes and go based upon their stunning similarities of background, names in their lives, age, birthplace, how they express themselves down to the phrases they use, how they approach things, their dream (full-time) job and how they react when things get a little off-kilter, I would swear on a stack of bibles that they are the same person. But as far as the universe is concerned, they are not. (If they were, I wouldn't be too surprised. That's how my quirky life goes and that person better worry about karma paying them a visit very soon. Ha! There is a more-famous-than-AGOL blogger living in Los Angeles who writes just like me. Reading her everyday is surreal. Don't we all have some kind of twin somewhere?) These two individuals are both born artists, let's just say. So why am I surprised that both do not fully believe in magic or the possibilities in fantasy turning into realities? What happened to if there is a will, there is a way?

Finding out someone doesn't believe in real magic is an agonizing revelation for me. It seems that less and less people are believing in magic -- even children! Somewhere adults who no longer believe perpetuate the idea of its nonexistence down to generations. In my darkest moments and there have been many over the years, I believed magic existed. When I was unemployed for seven months several years ago, my rent check cleared by three cents! To me that was magic. The magic that things can happen and possibilities exist in our world. Some things don't have plausible explanations yet and until then it is labeled as magic (or miracles!).

My newer friend said to me today, The greatest part of any fantasy is the reality - the reality creates the fantasy. Holy hell. I thought it was the other way around. I was stunned.

Flight. Medical cures. Television. Radio. Telephone. Limb replacements. Cinematic special effects. Nano technology. Someone had the fantasy of these, the magical belief that they could exist or at least ask What if? Kids do it all the time. Parents sit in surprise at every fantastical idea their child expresses and nod like automatons because they don't see it, but don't want to shatter the moment either. Thinkers/dreamers in previous generations didn't believe how things could happen, but just that it could because they thought it. It may have taken generation or two until technology made them possible. What once was magic, is now reality. In our real moments, we use fantasy and magic to create until reality catches up.

In the 80s movie, Flash Gordon, little orbs (eyes) follow the human aliens around in their visit to an alien planet ruled by the Emperor Ming and watch their every move. Today, the space shuttle has camera orbs that float with the astronauts to capture the astronauts moves, too. Something started as a fantasy somewhere. I doubt DaVinci based his drawings on reality. Stephen Hawking dreamed a man in a wheelchair could fly, too...and he did fulfill his dream of floating weightless on a zero-gravity jet this year!

Humans as a species exist with a divine magical spark within them are the same species that put limits on time, space and even their ideas of love. Those are measured and tested ad nauseum. If you wanted to be conventional about magic, you could say that opportunity meets preparation. What is it that makes less conventional magic turn into reality? Belief. In order for magic to happen, you must believe. It is called having faith. But then again, maybe others are just not prepared.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: