Saturday, December 01, 2007

Playing Santa

Shopping cart in hand, I walked towards Dan in the store where he was waiting for me a little after 9am. After our good mornings, I told him two things: 1) How shamed I feel that my words from nine years ago has brought us here and 2) How proud I was of him and have never been more proud of him until that moment. Dan never forgets anything and I know he values me and what I think. After telling him how I felt, I didn't wait to see the look on his face for fear of my eyes filling with tears. I think he was feeling it, too, and knows me enough to switch gears and start joking with me. Great friends pay attention.

Dan kept teasing me that all we had were girls to buy for and accused me doing it on purpose so we didn't have to buy boy stuff. After looking at the shopping list, five girls (16 yrs, two 11 yrs, 10 yrs and 1 yr) were indeed girly with the exception of one who wanted more masculine toys. I actually would love to buy boy stuff, but other people in our company beat us to the angel tree last week.

I outlined a plan of buying one or two articles of clothing and getting two or more of the other stuff. For example, one girl received an outfit and her CD player, a CD and some nice brand batteries for her new CD player. I let Dan choose the higher ticket items or gave him choices. Wouldn't let him skimp on the batteries though so he picked ones with an oversleeves of pink for supporting breast cancer. I made sure we bought batteries for all the toys that needed them. We even bought a girl a set of gold earrings and a bracelet. It wasn't about having set limit on each child, but a nice set of gifts.

Then there was gift wrapping. We have to bring the gifts unwrapped, but I wanted to make sure that they got gift wrapping, boxes, ribbon and a roll of tape for each child. The baby toy set we got requires an extra roll so she got two for her toy, clothes, shoes, etc. Dan did an AGOL No-No by picking out drab rolls of gift wrapping. Christmas is supposed to be magical so we need wrapping paper that has foil or Mylar. Shiny for magic. You should have seen the look on this man's face when I explained my reasoning. I am used to seeing the look for years because I try to stun him at every turn. He picked a really pretty one out and a matching metallic ribbon while I put the rest I had already gathered in the cart. Poor thing.

We're not done shopping yet even after going to another store. Dan assured me we had time and he would complete the rest this next week when I began to get concerned about not having everything. We will give the ones we have already completed on Monday and meet again to combine his additions to mine since I am sorting and putting everything together. It will be several bills well spent.

It was lunchtime and I asked him to meet me at this Italian place up the road. We scarfed our breakfast/lunch combo of pizza and stromboli while we discussed our shopping expedition and my interview. He was happy for me and gave me encouragement. It was about 12:30pm when we parted ways. He, to finish remodeling his bathroom with upgrades and me, to resting from an exhaustive week. For a few hours, I was able to suspend my feelings on Christmas. It was heaven.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: