Friday, December 14, 2007

I'm Thinking Triathlon

Hearing the sounds of a two-man jazz band as my entourage and I entered the large training room cast a different vibe on our Christmas luncheon entirely. They had two laptops set-up, a keyboard, a trumpet, a soprano saxophone and various other percussion instruments behind their mics. We sang Christmas songs and standards while we followed the amusement park-like line weaving around the room to the buffet. It is only during these times you find out how many people are on both the 3rd and 4th floors we occupy.

The food wasn't bad, but I barely noticed it because we were having so much fun at my table. Michelle, Jeff and Tawny, my boss and Lisa were joking around. AND THEN...the sounds that make the right women get their groove on...the sounds of the Lou Rawls song, You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine. The singer in the jazz duo did a good job, but Tawny and I were singing at the table and a few other ladies who were still in line. It was great! My boss was laughing and Jeff seemed embarrassed. This type of music is not his cup of tea. Definitely a tough time getting back to work and staying focused.

There is this saying by Louis Pasteur that I have always loved, Chance favors the prepared mind. Another variation includes, Luck is opportunity meeting preparation. I think today is that day. This particular subject has been on my mind for a few years now and I never knew quite how to go about it until today: competing in a triathlon. It is a steep goal considering my lack of any kind of respectable fitness level and current weight. Every time I have seen the license plate frames with SWIM BIKE RUN, I have felt an automatic respect for the driver and wondered if I could really do it...the discipline, I mean.

An interesting man at work trains and competes in triathlons. He's got pictures and videos to prove it, too! He just signed up for the Florida 70.3 which will be at Disney and he can make it a family thing with his wife and daughter. The man owns (I think) three bikes for different terrains. Now that is dedication. We got to talking and he's sent me links for something to think about. He's going to come up with an AGOL project plan for a fall '08 competition. (A man with a well-thought out plan and mapped? Really? Seriously!?) I am to research this bike shop up the road from me when I am ready and my first physical assignment is to walk two miles this weekend sometime. I've done the Saturday Four for a few months so this is doable. Even if I don't make it to the triathlon, there are other smaller running competitions before that I can try which is great. Maybe Kathy and I can start entering together, too? She is a fitness freakazoid.

Does the above sound a bit wild? It is! Why be boring? Other people have that covered. I am excited at the prospect of challenging my mind and body. Not only will I get fit, I will get to buy cool new gear! Please -- you knew Shallowville had to be represented there somewhere. Don't worry, I will be toning down or foregoing the whole make-up thing (OMG!!) during training. My friend is serious about his sport, but luckily he has a great sense of humor. I'm appreciative in his generosity to want to help me. Besides, he will earn major karma points for transforming a tub of lard into something more pleasant....kinda like tofu shaped into a turkey shape for tofurkey. Ha! I'll keep you posted on the AGOL's progress.

Have to get to bed early (good luck, Sarah) so I can wake-up at 3:30am to drive to my aunt's in Brandon and accompany my uncle to pick up my cousin Angie who is taking the red-eye from Los Angeles. I guess I have too many visions of sugarplums dancing in my head to sleep early. I couldn't be bothered with dinner so that could be right.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

badgerdaddy said...

Haven't been by in a long time, and I missed the triathlon buzz!

Nice on - SLW is thinking of something similar, I think. It's tough work, but nothing gets you fit like triathlon training. It's even good for injuries - running niggle? Get in the pool. Swimming injury? Get on the bike, so your fitness level never needs to drop (unless it's something serious, obviously!).

Anyway, best of luck with it.

helloagol said...

Hi Badgerdaddy!

Been reading your fitness journey for months. Other people were getting on board fitness, too. I just had to do something and here's my chance. I will probably make it more to doing sprints (partial triathlons) first more likely than a full-fledge triathlon. Still - it's all good.

Here are some sites, I am getting familiar with these days:
Tracking/Training Log
Beginner Triathlete
or their old site has interesting stuff Triathlete Training Plan

...and you're right about being able to switch around from swimming to running and biking. Cool, huh?

Thanks for your well wishes. x