Saturday, December 08, 2007

Helping Out

Text message from Tawny said something like Crap! Alarm never went off. We'll be there soon. A call from Lisa right after says that her moving truck rental was secured at the location on other side of a main road instead of the one near her new place. Okay, we're all late getting started this morning. When I arrived at Lisa's, I parked and walked back up the street to investigate a yard sale to keep myself busy. Found a nice shower curtain with matching hooks that would go well in her kids new bathroom and some vintage cookbooks for me.

I hailed Lisa over after she parked her moving truck rental. She ended up buying an iron, some dishes, an entertainment center and a used handheld electronic game set for cheap. I also got her a toaster after I found out she didn't have one. When you're starting life over, gently used items always have a good price...Found out right after that she forgot her garage door opener in her SUV so we had to retrieve that and let Tawny know we were going to be a bit later getting started. Eek!

There was a bit of a to do with her garage door after we got inside her home, but Jeff and Jeffrey figured it out. The men moved furniture and larger items while Tawny, Lisa and I moved smaller items or softer stuff. Most of the kids toys were left at the house with her soon-to-be ex-husband. He wasn't present; he wasn't taking her moving well.

Lisa's new town home is incredibly spacious, light and airy! It was gorgeous. The kids were dropped off by one of her best friends who had been watching them. I wasted no time trying to get the pizzas heated up in the oven for lunch. Tawny helped me with setting up lunch and getting the items I bought for Lisa in the appropriate cupboard or bathroom.

All in all, the move went incredibly well. She didn't have as many things as I do even with her two kiddies. The cable/phone/Internet guy came, too. Tawny and her crew left about an hour and a half before I did. I stayed to watch Lisa's kids while she returned her moving truck rental. The first thing she remarked upon coming back in was how good her house smelled thanks to the air freshener plug-in I bought.

Lisa was very vocal about how appreciative she was all day to all of us and demanded that we tell her if she could ever repay us or help us out in the future. When I was leaving her, she expressed to me that I helped make her move really smooth by taking care of the little things. One day someone who will be in a similar situation will need your help. Remember and help them, I told her. (The theme of paying it forward has been prominent in the last couple of days.) Texted her tonight to see how she was doing and at 9:12pm, she was putting up her Christmas tree. Tears pinpricked my eyes. Lisa was going to start her new life well and God knows she deserves it!
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: