Thursday, December 13, 2007

Close, But No Cigar

Today blew like firecrackers doused in water. Yeah, that good. There was no Bridget and Tawny again. These gals are the anchors to my day. How can they abandon me like this? I know they can't help their maladies, but the AGOL needs balance.

Tawny took another day off to recover from cold and poor Bridget was miserable at home. She sent us a note and did not hear from her the rest of the day. I suspect her visit to the foot doctor didn't go so hot. Being an athlete doesn't guarantee you a faster recovery rate. She's already had tomorrow as a vacation day.

I called the corporate recruiter around 2pm because I was trying to plan my day and see if he was successful in scheduling any VPs. The under trained jackass scrambled on the phone and said, "Oh, maybe I should have called you earlier, but we hired someone this morning." WTF? Ever gracious AGOL (but secretly wanting to pull his testes from the inside out) "Yes, you probably should have called me, but you know what? Good for you. I'm sure the candidate is a better fit" and other pleasant words I almost gagged on.

Immediately wrote the hiring manager (copied my boss, too!) whom I actually liked with:
Hello (Hiring Manager):

I had just called (I.M. Jackass) to see if I was interviewing with one or two VPs today since we were trying to set that up yesterday for the phone. He just told me your good news of making an offer to another candidate earlier today. Good luck to you on your new hire.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to speak with me and for arranging the meeting with (Cool Director) as well. It was my pleasure to speak with you both. Please keep me in mind if something else comes available that might make a better match.

If I don't get to speak with you before then, please have a great holiday!
Within a minute of sending it, I received a call from the hiring manager who was doing some serious damage control. Now I knew she was in an online training class, but I think she either saw my e-mail notification blip on the screen or saw it on her Blackberry. She was saying they hired someone local (as opposed to putting me up in corporate housing in Atlanta for 3 months before working remotely in Trampa) and the person is from the brand of servers we buy. Fair enough. She gave me good feedback and said that she has another position opening up in a few months that she wants me for as soon as it breaks. Meanwhile, she wanted me to participate in some projects, too.

My boss had read my e-mail and was livid at how the whole thing was handled. He later returned her phone call and let her know as much. (My boss was very proud of how far I had gotten in the interview process and how professional I was during the whole thing.) The hiring manager told my boss about the new position coming up and forewarned him that she would be harvesting me for her own team. He was nonplussed. I was a tiny bit disappointed, but I am not crushed. I'm thinking the VPs forced her to make a decision ASAP with regard to the holiday. God knows I have seen VPs use their muscle with swift precision without any regard to other people.

Left late and talked to Jill on the way home. She made it to the beach bar last night just as I was leaving...Went to the store to get the dog some food and realized I had agreed to visit Tawny tonight. Oh, crap! Called Tawny and let her know I was not coming over to watch a show she had taped. I felt drained and I hadn't done my routine with Cabal nor eaten dinner yet at 7:35pm. After my early evening routine, I read a note that made me laugh and cry at how depressing it was and felt its futility as it affected me directly. I carried on for a good hour. Strangely cathartic. Needed it, I guess.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: