Saturday, December 15, 2007

Fun at Sandy & Mark's Party

Woken up from a deep sleep by a call from an agitated Angie letting me know that she missed her flight from L.A. due to traffic and that I didn't have to go to "mom and dad's". It was 1:10am and I had finally gotten to sleep 30 minutes before. I was able to mentally register the message and reset my alarm from 3:15am to 6:30am.

Ended up calling my aunt and uncle's house mid morning trying to find out more, but they didn't have any more information at that time. Soon after Lisa called me while she ran her errands to catch up on stuff. She was very happy in her new home.

Shopped the grocery store quickly for ingredients to make my much anticipated rum cake. It is baked in a bundt shape and the rum sauce drenched on top is made with a generous helping each of butter, granulated sugar, water and rum. Most of the alcohol does get cooked off, but one whiff will let you know it has rum in it. Some recipes call for straight rum being poured over the cake (yuk!), but my recipe has a buttered taste.

I've had the recipe since 1992 from a guy named Rick whom I worked with at Saks Fifth Avenue in Chicago. After it has had time to absorb the extra liquid on the plate, a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar is added. I tend to add more during Christmas for a heavy snow effect. Since it will be served at someone else's home, I pre-sliced the cake before the powdered sugar step which makes serving a snap.

Picked up Kathy and headed for Sandy and Mark's Annual Christmas party. (They live just a few miles from my aunt and uncle.) We've been going for about nine years. I took a lot of pics than I ever have at their party to show the things Kathy and I always search for when we visit at Christmas. It brings comfort somehow. They always go all out. The whole house is decorated down to the last details of having their comforter on their bed have a Christmas theme and swapping their everyday dishes with Christmas ones during the season.

Out poolside bar with Sandy and Kathy


My own handmade ornaments she received from my ornament exchange parties from previous years were hung on their second tree outside by the bar:

Felt fabric Santa underwear that contained bracelets with jingle bells for the gals to wear.


One of the many designs of origami boxes I've made.


Their indoor tree with and without a flash!


Every year their piano is decorated this way. The giant Santa on the left sings and dances.


Sandy wraps all of her art and photos, too!


Kathy enjoying the rum cake I baked.


Our hosts: Sandy and Mark, the nicest people you will ever meet!


Clearly Mark and Kathy are not believing the story Sandy is telling.


A very exhausted Perkins rests from running around dozens of guests.


I enjoyed myself at the party and felt my Christmas freakishness only a few times. By the time I dropped Kathy home and I got back to my own home, it was 11:35pm. Only have a few hours to sleep and drive to my aunt and uncle's to accompany my uncle to the airport. Buckets of coffee will be in my future.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: