Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Bad Car-ma

Is sleep worse when it eludes you when you're in bed or is it worse when you're forced to give it up for other things? I was up after 5am to take care of the dog, take a shower and get ready for Tawny and Jeff to pick me up at 6:45am. They were kind enough to drop me off at the car shop before they made their way to work with Jeff quizzing me on what possibly could be wrong with the car. I know a great deal of many things, but cars are the least of it.

Explained how my car arrived at the shop to the manager and he warned me it would be $88 to hook up my car for computer diagnostics. Like I had a choice? Then he made conversation as if I was leaving my car to them for the day. I told him that I would wait in the TV room. It was 7am and his "computer guy" doesn't come in until 8am. Okay, whatever. I have my laptop with me so I can surf wirelessly and there is a TV on to keep me amused if needed. Like I said I didn't have a choice. I wanted him to stop chitchatting with me so I could start guzzling down the coffee he had made. Priorities.

The mechanic came round almost a couple of hours later and retrieved me to take me to my car. He was pointing out parts under the hood and explaining things. He might have been speaking Greek: new alternator, serpentine belt replacement and new oxygen sensor. I told him I just wanted to do what was necessary especially the day after Christmas. He said he would see what he could do. I agreed to everything but one item (fuel injection flush) and added an oil change while they were at it. My instincts told me he was being honest so I felt confident in what we agreed to perform on my car. The after Christmas special? Over $700! Holy crap -- I needed a drink and not coffee either unless it was laced with whiskey.

Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.

Called Myrna to have lunch with me across the road from the car shop when my car was all better again. She walked in, took on look at me and said, That bad, huh? Did I mention my lovelies that I left the house with my hair up, no make-up on and no jewelry wearing a t-shirt and some long ancient pants? Very un-AGOL. She kept staring at me as I kept staring at her because I noticed her teeth were whiter. I asked her about it and she said something to which I replied, You're blinding me over here during daylight! She laughed and said, Now you know how I feel when I see you! Um...Hee.

We left the restaurant and she agreed to help me find a new vacuum cleaner since mine was working on my feng shui nerves. Picked one out that turned out to be extra clean-y. Holy dust bunnies, AGOL!

Update: Forgot that I had this on my phone. Made me chuckle in the store.



Anyhoo, made my way back to my aunt's where my cousin Dave's wife Michelle joined us with her brood and her mother for takeout Hooter's Buffalo Wings. My aunt made fried fish and some other Filipino concoction for her and Michelle's Filipino mom. After eating, several of us decided to go for a quick drive by at a certain neighborhood for Christmas lights before I headed home to the elusive thing called sleep...








.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: