Friday, March 09, 2007

Sigh of Relief

Soitbeenareallycrazytimewhereeverythingandallthedayshaveruntogether
becauseI'vebeenreallybusyanditwasmycolleague'slastweekandwewere
caughtupinmoremeetingsthantheWhiteHousetotransferknowledge,etc.
andI'vebeengettingoveracold.

That's pretty much how it has been since Saturday.

It is Friday night and I am home relaxing with a cup of jasmine green tea. I got off work early so I could talk to Yummy for a while. He is recovering nicely, too. Talking to him made me feel a whole lot more on an even keel since my AGOL ship was rocking so much this week.

My colleague was very surprised at her going away cake this morning. We had a good turnout, but it could have been better. The break room was crowded and we cheered and applauded her for her work and new opportunities up north. She left around 1pm. Shortly after the vultures came and went "cube shopping". There were a lot of cool electronic goodies at her desk. The equipment manager let me take the 19" flat screen home so I could have dual monitors with my laptop for those days I work from home. Her desk is now ready for my temp to come back on Monday.

Taking a lunch late is never good for me; I had to wait until matters were settled with the colleague. I suffered from 'slim pickins' at the downstairs cafe and from 'food coma' right after eating. The caffeine from the coffee couldn't clear the fog to function more efficiently the rest of the afternoon which was probably a good thing when I met with my boss for my yearly review.

Our company did such a campaign with our yearly reviews in January even providing a time line of submissions and reviews by management, etc. It had a good start but fizzled to be never heard from again. I shouldn't be surprised then at my "common merit increase". I was told when switching managers at the beginning of the year that I would receive a better increase, but those promises were not honored. Once again, I shouldn't be surprised. It is disheartening but I do understand the state of our business and the transition pains it is going through. As an employee, it still just sucks.

Today was full of high emotions. I am still processing the phone call I received from my oldest sister last night regarding the recent health issues she has experienced and another operation she is set to have on Monday morning. All these news a surprise to me since she didn't want to worry me. Now, mind you, she lives on the west coast of Florida, about two and half hours away. We are not close like sisters should be because of numerous factors I won't go into, but we do try to keep in touch if not to each other then through our dad. I have the same relationship with two of my other sisters...and they have the same relationship with each other. I don't even communicate with my stepbrother and my stepsister. We just put the 'fun' in dysfunction.

I called my dad and stepmother after talking to my sister. On a unique note, I spoke to my stepmother for 30 minutes and my dad for only 10 minutes which is a switch since I am not close to her. It is starting to sound like I am not close to anyone, but I am very close to my cousins, my aunt and uncle here, my girlfriends who are like sisters to me and more recently to the amazing Yummy.

Part of being close to me is you have to be there, you have to be present more often than an occasional call. I understand people are busy, but in the past, I have not received a lot of response back from trying. Then they tend to get offended because I become closer to people other than they. I know I am not the only one with these kinds of issues which makes me feel a bit more normal. Sigh.

Regaining focus is my goal this weekend. I have too many things to get back in order. My marbles have been falling out of my hands and it is time let go of some of them and to pick the ones I need back up so I can reorganize them. It is much easier to play the Game of Life when your marbles are organized and you're playing with the correct ones.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad - 10 minutes, Stepmother - 30 minutes. I guess, its how we relate to people, and how comfortable they make us feel, understanding our feelings on the lines as we do ourselves.