Monday, March 19, 2007

Mirrored Ball Musings

"The Hustle" was playing all day at work, figuratively speaking, of course. No mirrored balls except for a picture of one in front of a birthday card tacked onto my cube wall from Kristey. No lit dancefloor, no Travolta hairdos on guys, no feathered hair on chicks, no tube tops, no gold chains showing from open butterfly collars, and no line dance from Soul Train - in short, no fun.

It was Monday and I was doped on caffeine and herbal/homeopathic happy pills. My 'cope cocktail' worked like a charm. No one had to be maimed for bothering me, interrupting me or for just being a total pain in the butt while I tried to get work done. Happy places...we love our happy places. Okay, so I am exaggerating the effects of the happy pills, but they did help.

My disco theme really started with Yummy IM'ing me this link and me telling him of another song that I gladly found the link to add tonight:

Yummy's choice:
"Crying at the Discotheque" by Alcazar



AGOL's choice:
"Murder on the Dancefloor" by Sophie Ellis Bextor



We talked about loving disco which is infinitely better than talking about work today. My mind wandered all over, following the lights on the wall from the mirrored ball.

My self-appointed theme song is "Le Freak" by Chic. (Suspend your disbelief!)
My song selection for Yummy that he will be finding out when he reads this is "He's the Greatest Dancer" by Sister Sledge. (Inside joke)

It's 11-ish and I am still dreaming of mirrored balls. I remember in my early 20s, I was visiting from Chicago to Trampa. My cousin Angie and I went to Pleasure Island during a weekend in Orlando and I danced by myself at one of the many clubs that was once called 8 Tracks. They only played disco and I was in heaven. It was still early in the evening and the clubs hadn't filled up yet; the dancefloor was all mine. I didn't have a care in the world while I got my groove on. I can dance when I allow myself.

Did I ever tell you I choreographed a dance when I was 12 years old for my elementary school's Spring Fling program? There were three or four couples on stage dancing to "Rock Around the Clock". I was still so new to this country that the styles I incorporated for this song were eclectic: disco moves with The Charleston, etc. It was great fun...At my current age and time, I still have some mirrored balls left in my closet to use up. Just not any time soon and probably in private only!


PS Yummy, please click here.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: