Friday, March 16, 2007

Art Night in Trampa

Fast and furious Fridays make for intense moments. Today fit that bill perfectly. In the midst of the chaos with cellphone in hand, I made my way to Tawnyia's office to torment her a bit just to break up my morning.

Tawny call me now! I want you to hear my new cellphone ring. Annoyed at the interruption, but still willing to indulge, she found her crackberry phone and dialed. She rolled her eyes when "The Look of Love" came on. Michelle, also in her office, just watched us in amusement.

Now text me -- now now now! She yelled at me for being obnoxious. Who could blame her? "Blister in the Sun" by Violent Femmes came on to alert me of the message. Michelle and I proceeded to dance quite fiercely while the song played much to Tawnyia's horror. My work here is now done. I must have had it out for her today because we were caught bickering by someone in HR who commented that we were like an old married couple. We told him that we've been close friends for nine years so he was right.

Spoke to Yummy via cellphone while he was on The Tube, but kept cutting out when it tunneled. We were still able to make a skype date for tomorrow morning...

I rushed home to take care of Cabal and freshen up before Tawnyia' son picked me up to take me to the Oliva Cigar Factory, a 116-year old cigar factory building in downtown Tampa in the Ybor City section, where they were having the last night of a play, art show and where Tawnyia and Jeff also have studio space.

(Art in any form makes me happy because it is an expression of the person inside which may not be what is projected to the public. Face it, art just rocks!)

We arrived and walked up to the entrance where we were greeted by a live band complete with conga drums. It set a fun tone and vibe to the evening. People were moving around the building like termites in wood. The factory had sculptures with differing mediums, paintings, three-dimensional art 'settings' and some really compelling photography.

Everyone in our circle were in Jeff and Tawnyia's studio space drinking mixed drinks that Jeff made and nibbling on a variety of snacks Tawnyia put out for everyone to enjoy. The mix of people were great: IT, artists and artists who worked in IT. We were a happenin' joint.

After the play, we walked around to enjoy more art and ended the evening at the factory with someone spewing fire in the dark front lot using turpentine as an incendiary medium. It was a perfect punctuation to a fun evening.

My friends Kathy and Jaime gave me a ride home, but on our way to their vehicle parked in the garage a few blocks away, we saw this piece of class, Girls Gone Wild tour bus. Oh for the love of God. Will Trampa ever be just Tampa? This is the kind of crap that just digs the grooves of the moniker deeper into stone. Give me a break!



It was a great night spent after a long and exhaustive week. Friends, art and double-shot apple martinis were just what the doctor ordered. Cheers!
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Kathy B said...

Boy that picture came out great! What about a "geeks gone wild" bus? That would be... well...scary! Had a great time on Friday!

helloagol said...

Well, as you know, the "geeks gone wild" bus is in QA and has to have the signoff of the business. It may need some upgrades (ergonomic everything not to mention at least eight 42" LCD screens, music server, wireless connectivity, etc. for v2.0). We're implementing an upgrade a week...the usual.