Friday, June 15, 2007

Mixed Reviews

I arrived at work to find its occupants outside the building. A fire drill is usually announced via e-mails days before it occurs. Not sure what happened this morning. Hundreds of people were scattered about like ants.

Those of us who survived yesterday's scythe talked amongst ourselves comparing notes on the events that had transpired. One of my friends gave me some news. I wasn't particularly reassured, but will cross my fingers that my area is secure based upon his information. Time will only tell. I've been made redundant twice in five years thanks to companies merging. You do what you have to do. Life doesn't stop because your world quakes.

New figureheads in IT made their presence known first thing in the day. They met with all the department managers one by one. Tawny was with one most of the day; I barely saw her. She never responded to my text or IM to see if she was still joining me for lunch at the mall.

Met Dianne for a tasty lunch at this restaurant we met in last time. The menu is so diverse that she wanted to try more dishes. I also congratulated her on her forthcoming offer letter. We all knew she wouldn't be unemployed for long. She is a great asset in her field and a very positive one, too!

My afternoon was spent researching more items, but my mind just wasn't in it. It wasn't a typical day. My boss said that it was probably stress. We spoke several times in his office and not all about work. Sometimes it is just nice to connect as people especially after yesterday. I had more news for him than he had for me.

Yummy surprised me by IM'ing me earlier than usual. It was great to talk with him, but I am most looking forward to speaking to him over Skype very early tomorrow morning before my walk with the girls. He had some fantastic news to share about work, but will keep it at that since I didn't ask if I could share with others. I am so pleased for him. He's been trying very hard to plan and make things happen. It is not going to be easy, but it is full of possibilities once he gets rolling.

I sent Yummy three embroidered t-shirts a few weeks ago. Each shirt references the same inside joke on the left breast with a small graphic and some text. He said he was 'rockin' one this morning which gave me an extra measure of joy. Yummy then told me he wore different one yesterday. I wasn't sure if he'd wear them, but I am very flattered he did. Thanks, honey.



Talked to Jill while I drove home. She seemed in good spirits after yesterday and was surprised by the outpouring of calls for her well-being and also leads and contacts for work. Her mother works on our fourth floor and she was inundated on her behalf. It gave Jill a great feeling to know how much she was appreciated and how many people cared about her. Made a lunch date with her for next week.

Stopped at Target on the way home to get a new Sony DVD player that was on sale to replace my now defunct unit. A special bag for my water tomorrow also made it to the cart. Kim had made fun of me earlier in the day after I told her I bought new shorts outfit for the walk and would pick up a small bag for water, camera, etc. that I could sling over my back kinda like a mini backpack. I just can't help myself.

It took ten minutes to sort out the old and new DVD player at home. What a relief to find everything was working properly and I was finally able to watch a movie I had bought a few weeks ago. Rain began to pour outside in the middle of it. Hope it holds for a while during my walk tomorrow. Wish us luck on the weather.

PS I found this site referenced in a magazine yesterday. If anyone of you catches me desecrating my 5-quart Kitchen Aid mixer like this, please let me have it: Pimp My Kitchen Aid or like these pros. It is a serious piece of machine, not a hot rod. (My 2+ horsepower blender is another story.)
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: