Monday, June 25, 2007

Bumper Cars

Was rear-ended today on my way to work. Apparently, this crazy hookerella in her sportscar saw a green light and then proceeded to lean and retrieve her cell phone beside her and didn't pay attention to the cars in front of her that were not moving.

When the light signal turned green initially, I almost honked my horn at the vehicle in front of me for not getting a move on. The hazard lights came on indicating an issue with the vehicle. I decided to wait while the driver moved forward slowly. A very loud sound followed by a bump behind me signaled a collision.

It was a quick self-assessment of any serious injury I might have sustained. I got out and slowly inspected the scene. A gray car behind my white one containing a startled driver had opened her door. She looked like she was going to cry, but she didn't when I asked her if she was okay. Poor thing got out. I was beginning to feel a headache and a general ache on my left side and hoped it didn't portend more than that.

Hookerella in her white sportscar was able to get out of her vehicle and ask about the lady in the middle. Her car was definitely crumpled in the back and her front bumper was cracked from hitting mine. My car received a very graphic imprint on the rear bumper from her front plates, but nothing was obviously broken. Hookerella's car did what it was supposed to do which was crumple correctly in the front. None of it was pretty.

I excused myself from the girls to call my boss and let him know what had transpired. Meanwhile, a Florida Highway Patrolman stopped by and directed us to drive our vehicles to the side where he could gather each of our license, registration and car insurance information for his report.

Ever practical, I began to take pictures of everyone's vehicle with my cell phone. I asked the middle chick to do the same. Hookerella just ignored me and waited for her own entourage to arrive which consisted of two men from a car dealership, her boyfriend and I assume her mother. Oh, puhleeze! This girl was a drama twit.

My car was the oldest of the three and the least damaged. Nice imprint on the bottom.


Here's my bumper's stamp.


Crunch! Dig the lights dangling on the left side.


Hookerella's car after the accident.


I kept coaching the other lady to go ahead and contact her insurance company to get the ball rolling for a tow truck and to provide her with a rental car. I think she was too shocked to do anything. As prissy as I am, let me you something: I am the person you want in a crisis. I am able to dissect and make a gameplan of what needs to be done. The freakish thing is that I have a difficult time doing the same thing for myself. That's why I have my own go-to peeps. Yeah, I've got my own posse. Don't be so surprised. All proper AGOLs have their support system.

I think I may have embarrassed the cop who handed us our nicely printed reports that came from his vehicle...probably because I gushed about his nicely printed reports. Makes me think of what else they will be installing in copcars...a small fridge...dare i say it -- a doughnut fryer? (Gasp!)

Oh yeah...Hookerella received a ticket violation from the cop and was told that her insurance company would be responsible for any damages to our vehicles. Is it bad to gloat?

Got to work and tried to pull myself together. Tawny offered to take me to a walk-in clinic if I needed it. I was okay, but I felt sore. Downed some ibuprofen and worked. The rest of the day felt weird. Yummy left me a voicemail on my cell to make sure I was okay. That made me feel really good. I texted him back that I was indeed okay.

Near quitting time, it rained like a mofo, but then Florida Sunshine just showed again...I really despise Florida's menopausal weather. It held on my way home. I drove extra cautiously and made it to the grocery store for a big shopping trip. Almost had to move my good bottle of vodka from the freezer to the fridge from all the stuff I put in the freezer. Luckily, it all fit. I couldn't take two tragedies in one day.

Feeling achy now and will take some more ibuprofen before bed. I thank goddess I am alive and no one was seriously injured nor any fatalities resulted from the collision. That's enough bumper cars for the day.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: