Friday, June 27, 2008

Peruvian Flavors & Wine Tasting

Bridget and I were invited to eat lunch at a Peruvian restaurant in town. I didn't know there was such a thing in Tampa; I was informed there were a couple. In Latin offerings, Tampa is dominated with Cuban fare followed by Mexican food. I've also seen a couple of Argentinian style barbecue places emerging around the Bay Area.

I found the Machu Picchu site and investigated the menu with Bridget who was reticent about the offering, but was willing to try something new that didn't sound too scary. There was nothing scary though there were parts of the menu whose ingredient mentioned octopus. Hee.

Bridget and I shared a gigantic pile of large rings of calamari, mussels, shrimp, fish and yucca (root vegetable). We followed it by desserts flavored with dulce de leche or caramel. The other four diners in our group partook in the sweets we ordered for a nice finish. Um..lunch ran a little loooooooooooooooooonng today. Don't tell our boss who is on vacation!



Wrapping things up before I left for vacation was to the wire! Who is not surprised? All I knew was that there was some wine and appetizers waiting for me somewhere. Kathy was meeting me for a free wine tasting at the gourmet shop. The drive home felt like an Irish Blessing where the wind was at my back leading me home very quickly so I could take care of Cabal.

There was a snag on the way from apartment. Traffic went from 70mph to 10mph. According to the radio, someone had a car accident at the exit I needed. Luckily, I know my way around town and took an earlier exit. Not only was I on time for my appointment meeting time with Kathy, but I was there before her! I felt like Holly Golightly walking about the three dozen people jammed in the culinary kitchen. I genuinely mingled after I got over my initial shyness. A lady in the store handed me a glass and the listing of wine selections. I said hello to the owner/head chef and to the assistant from my class the other night.

Kathy finally arrived and was soon accessorized with her own glass and wine listing. The wine tasting offered six different wines and platters upon platters of appetizers like herbed cheesecake, tortillas and different dips, ginger cookies with a type of blue cheese, French bread with pate or sundried tomato, marbled cheesecake.

My favorites were an Argentinian red wine (Famiglia Bianchi Malbec) and an Australian Chardonnay (Oxford Landing.) My least favorite was a different Chardonnay that reminded me of the taste of penicillin tablets! I quickly poured that out. Kathy's favorite which she bought was a bottle of was another humble Argentinian wine named New Age, a combination of Malvasia and Sauvignon Blanc wines.

A jar of tapenade, a Jalapeno Lemongrass Spice Packet and a set of toaster tongs made it home. I didn't love any wine enough to take home, but I am regretting not getting the Pacific Rim Riesling from the cooking class.


Still in the gourmet mood, I took this pic of three tall jars that adorn a part of my kitchen. Aren't they cool?


...I need a long nap after all the food. Might as well make it a good night's sleep. Sampling wine and food is tiring. Yes, it can be!


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: