Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cops and Chefs

I was on my way to making it to work early. Things were going well until I got stopped by a Florida State Trooper who gave me two citations that are going to be a pain in the butt to get rectified. My boss passed me on the highway. I talked to him after my little stop and continued the conversation until I saw him walking in the garage.

Yes, I am (in great shame) going to tell you about my traffic violations. One was for not having sufficient brake lights to suit him and the other for an expired driver's license I was going to take care of next week during my vacation. Sigh.

The trooper seemed to not want to give me the tickets. I had to prompt him if he wanted my car insurance after he had already taken my driver's license and was staring at me. My vehicle registration was also offered. I felt like I was doing his job and was more irritated at being late to work...

Not much later than when arrived, Bridget lifted up her shirtsleeve and showed me her new tattoo below. It is a classic style by a certain artist. It is big and she will have to find blouses that are more discreet. Don't other 37-year-olds get these done?



Work was okay. My excitement and anticipation over my class tonight was almost overwhelming. I couldn't wait for 3:30pm to arrive!

I realized on the way home that the trooper forgot to give me my vehicle registration and my car insurance card back. He barely remembered to give me my license before I drove off earlier. A couple of phone calls later, I was able to leave the trooper a voicemail which he will pick up tomorrow morning...

En route to my class, traffic slowed down to a nonexistent speed. I was forced to take the back roads to get to my class on time. I was the second of four attendees who arrived. The owner of the shop decided to make our class a hands-on experience as opposed to a demonstration. What a great surprise!!

I haven't had this much fun with people I don't know in a long time. We all worked well together in making all the delicious food. It wasn't until after we consumed two dishes that I realized I hadn't taken a picture of the food! You missed out on the Roasted Pine Nut Gorgonzola Timbale and Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs wrapped in Prosciutto with Balsamic Raspberry Gastrique.

Gulf Oysters laced with Chipotle Mignonette


A closer look -- that Chipotle Mignonette (picture in the middle) was super spicy yet delicious!


Grilled Asparagus Spears with Lump Crabmeat over Baby Arugula


The finale of White Chocolate Martinis



Our chef preparing...


Chocolate Truffles with Strawberry Amaretto Jam


Some of the plating were not so elegant, but the taste of the food was incredible! It was well worth the $50. I sipped Riesling most of the evening. It certainly made doing prep work more interesting. Ha. The whole experience reminded me how much I love love love to cook. I was in heaven. The class may have thought I was too cheery from my enthusiasm.

Made it home okay and later, over hot tea, I wrote the chef a note and sent pics. I also wrote the coordinator for the cooking assistants, who was present during the class. He never received my e-mail which has now been forwarded to another address he gave me. I will see him again on Sunday for orientation.

I'm still full from the incredible evening and I am tired from a long day. My bed is calling me.


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: