Sunday, June 29, 2008

Just a Little...

Hmm...Sunday morning. Slept in a little...just a little. Did my Sunday morning routine sans coffee and replaced it with strong tea and cream.

I drove to the other side of town for my cooking class assistant orientation later in the afternoon. June from my cooking class was there. She had expected just the two of us for the orientation. I expected maybe six only. More than a dozen showed up which was good for the shop.

Our coordinator gave a rundown on safety, requirements, expectations and the benefits of this strictly voluntary activity. Whomever is assigned for a particular class has to be in no later than one hour before the start of class to prep the kitchen for the students and the chef. The job is no glamour job -- the assistant is expected to do grunt work like washing dishes and basic clean-up during and after the class. The benefit for the assistant is being able to learn new things in the class, receiving copies of the recipes, sharing in the food tasting and enjoying a 20% discount on anything in the store plus after the fifth class, the assistant gets to be awarded a bonus gift certificate amount enough for any future class. This gift may be used by the cooking assistant or passed on as a gift to someone else. Those are not bad benefits in exchange for being a kitchen slave.

It was a last minute decision to call my aunt's house for a visit. I saw them yesterday at their grandson's birthday party and visited, but I had time and I was just several minutes away. My aunt woke up from her nap a few minutes after I arrived. If you thought I had sleep problems, you should talk to my aunt. Not having Nan at home for now has allowed her to relax and sleep. She made a delicious dinner which we all scarfed down.

I wasn't sure if my aunt would let me borrow her serger, which is a four thread spool sewing machine that does one thing of cutting and finishing the edge of fabric. Turn your clothes inside out. You will see an edge of the fabric (like the side seams) finished in a web stitching to keep it from unraveling. It is a nice and more professional looking touch. She said yes without hesitation and put it in a box for me including the manual.

High-tailed it home for Cabal who I'm sure was crossing his legs and wondering why his mistress hadn't come home to walk and to feed him. I did. I just had to remind myself that I didn't have to get up very early to get to work. Sweet!


.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: