Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Unexpected Events

Bridget called me at 8:30am to let me know that our boss had contacted her to let her know that he wouldn't be in the office because of a family emergency. His sister had died the previous day from accidental causes. My boss is very close to his family and this was utterly devastating. Immediately, he filled the role of point of contact for everyone.

The rest of the day was cast in a somber note of trying to make sure things were taken care of or signed. Our boss had picked up his laptop earlier in the morning and used it during the day to work. He was trying to take his mind off things with a few work related e-mails. I wish you could meet him because he is a really good man who lets us be ourselves. He is well liked and we, as his subordinates, are envied because of his support of us and his engaging personality.

Faced with this kind of situation, my group's demented sense of humor tend to come out. It extended to my boss' director via IM. We were helpless against the tide of teasing. The sad part was none of us were consuming alcohol to be that funny. I declared that beer had to be cold to really absorb the medicinal molecules (yes, I make this crap up). Beer is also liquid bread if you thought about it which means it is nutritional as well as medicinal. As the great orator, Homer Simpson, would say: Mmmm....Beer.

I arrived home later because I arrived at work later and I stopped at the store after. All I wanted to do was go home and relax. Oh, no my AGOL, said Fate. Opening my apartment door was like opening into the outdoors. My air conditioning wasn't working. There was a power surge during the day which caused the lights to go off and on affecting my circuit breaker for the important things like the air conditioning. I was able to turn some fans to circulate the air, but it wasn't the same. I immediately called for a service in the morning.

Fate said gleefully But, wait my AGOL -- there's more! Cooking dinner inside the oven or on the stove top was completely out of the question. The light indicator would come on but the heat would not. There was my next service call. Grrr... Thank goddess for microwaves! Watched some television while Cabal kept looking at me as if it was my idea to turn him into his own sauna. Opening the windows was out of the question because it was more hot and humid outside. Positioned the fans so we could sleep with circulating air. It was 10 degrees hotter than what we were used to inside. Dammit.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: