Sunday, May 18, 2008

Smart Substitute

Enjoyed my Sunday morning routine and didn't feel too hurried to do more errands in the afternoon. Accompanied by two store coupons, I visited Bed, Bath and Beyond to buy my new stainless steel rice cooker. My old one was about seven years old and needed to give up its ghost. An inexpensive toaster made it home, too. Yes, the AGOL has never owned a proper toaster until today. I don't really buy bagels or sliced bread, but there are some whole grain muffins I want to try.



Surrendered more dead presidents at the shoe store to replace my current walking/running shoes. I haven't decided on whether to keep them yet or not. While functional and fit well, they are rather peculiar looking. That is why I am not sharing a picture of them. Whoa - who sneaked Shallowville in?

Your AGOL also spent some quality time at the grocery store. I had three new recipes I wanted to try and they required special stuff. I was bound and determined to have home cooked meals for lunch and dinner this week. Tonight I cooked a Potato and Corn Soup which was surprisingly full of flavor. The only bad part was that the recipe made a vat of it. I am sharing some tomorrow with Bridget and the temp...

You know why this recipe was so good? Not only did it require some bacon rendered to cook the chopped onion and garlic in, it also asked for 4 cups of half-and-half. Holy cholesterol and fat, my lovelies! I cut the half-and-half by substituting (1:1 ratio) fat free evaporated milk*. It was only 1 1/2 cups, but it was better than nothing. Next time, I am substituting 3 cups of it for the evaporated milk and keep the 1 cup of half-and-half. I am going to try the full substitution for heavy cream when I make Alfredo Sauce, too. Think smart substitutions because face it -- getting old sucks thanks to that dratted thing called cholesterol and his best friend called fat.


*For 1 cup half-and-half, 1 cup heavy cream OR 1 cup whole milk, substitute 1 cup of evaporated milk (regular or fat free).
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: