Friday, May 23, 2008

Crickets and Code Violations

Our company hasn't enjoyed a bank holiday weekend for a couple of months. Several people took advantage of the extra day on Monday by taking today off or leaving much earlier than 5pm. By 3pm, you could just about hear crickets in my building...

A text message from Bridget on the way to work told me that I was in for a "fashion show" with our temp. I will not repeat what she said, but it was rude and...an understatement. When I arrived, I was at Bridget's desk for a bit before going to mine and a few minutes after that, my temp accosted me while I was firing up my laptop.

If you know me well, you know I either have a very expressive face or it can be cooler and hard to read depending on the situation. It took all I could muster to keep the What the f*** are you wearing? look from seeping through the cool side when I saw our temp. Holy Mother of God... Jeezus! Were you kidding me? She was wearing a long sleeve pull on purple shirt that had some kind of large faux white diamond jewels lining a three inch wide margin of the V-neck she was wearing. If that weren't enough, the piece de resistance were the big and extra long gold and purple chandelier earrings hanging from her ears.

Besides shock, all that kept going through my head was how much I wanted to strangle Bridget for not fully disclosing the situation. She didn't tell me there were code violations being committed. The saddest part was that our temp seemed to be looking for validation from me. They say if you can't say something nice, don't say it. It was killing me to be silent about her outfit and to make the conversation about something else. I was just hoping a mad case of Tourette's wouldn't suddenly overtake me. I avoided our temp the rest of the day.

Bridget and I went for lunch at one of the restaurant at the malls and a brief side trip to Godiva for decadent treats of chocolate milkshake and a banana creme truffle each. When we got back, our temp stopped by Bridget's desk and made a remark about her shake which annoyed Bridget. It seemed like a veiled barb about her not being invited or getting her own treat. We think our temp is playing a game of trying to stick it to her somehow. She knows better than to try it with me especially since I am still nice to her. The chocolate stuff was expensive and that is why it is called a treat. Grrr.

Our boss sent us a text message on our phones with a picture (below) of our floral arrangement saying how beautiful it was. You can compare what we sent to what arrived. Very pleased.



Bridget left early to attend something for her son's school but not before confirming our meeting tomorrow at the Museum of Science and Industry with him. I left much later and couldn't wait to come home to a cool apartment.

I forgot to mention yesterday that when I got up (still enjoying our tropical indoor conditions) that my clothes dryer wasn't working either nor could I vacuum. The power coming to the apartment was too low to allow either one of these. When I got home last night, it was blissfully much much cooler. A breaker box had to be replaced by the maintenance crew and everything was working fine again when I got home. Cabal and I were chillin' in the crib like baby Eskimos.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: