Thursday, May 22, 2008

Uncommon Arrangement

Our director forwarded an e-mail to us yesterday that was written by my boss to friends and family outlining the schedule for the next couple of days for his family. They included times, places and addresses for things like his home. He suggested we select an arrangement. Bridget and I searched three online floral shops for a suitable arrangement. We were in agreement that we wanted nothing creepy that some sympathy arrangements can be. We didn't want just flowers, but leaned to something more long lasting like a plant. I suggested the image below which was classy and suggests a certain delicacy, strength and unique beauty.



I don't know what your first memories of funerals and such have been, but mine was certainly unique. My memories take me back to the Philippines as a young school girl under 10 years of age. Between the regular Catholic school I attended and a more private Catholic school was a church called Holy Family.

For a period of time, my mother subscribed to a school taxi (of sorts) for me which left me with some time to roam in the church while we waited for other students to arrive at the taxi. There was more than one time that late afternoon funerals would be held. I can remember on one occasion seeing a painted silver baby (or toddler) coffin outside the front entrance surrounded by mourners. My curiosity would get the best of me and I pushed through the crowd wearing my school uniform of a white blouse and a medium gray skirt with my feet encased in white socks and black patent leather shoes.

When I got next to the coffin, I stood on my tiptoes and noticed a glass covering or window on top helping to encase the little body. I saw a sleeping child within. My child's mind knew it was lifeless, but how did it get there? I didn't feel the sorrow of the mourners but remembered a peculiar smell. When my curiosity was satiated, I went in search for the taxi.

I've been to a few funerals since then of people I've known. As much as I love flowers, I've always hated the monstrous arrangements that would grace the coffin whether at a church, funeral home or tipped on its back on top of the grave. They are ugly and are like a garish caricatures to me. I was not sending one like it today. Luckily, Bridget had the same idea.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: