Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sprinkles Day

It felt great -- great to have a day I could claim as my own...

I dropped my handbag and planner in Michelle's salon before going to the boba smoothie shop to get our favorite flavors. The owner was flirting with me. I wasn't sure at first and I can be aloof to such things, but he kept at it. This is going to sound bad but I am not generally attracted to other Asians. He was cute and had a muscular build, but I had no desire to play "sticky rice" as my cousin in LA has described to me.

Two hours later, I felt more like myself after having my roots retouched and general shaping of my hair through Michelle's expertise. Hello, Shallowville! We had some good laughs. It was made bittersweet by Michelle's recounting of the new man she was dating. He seemed her dream come true, a spectrum opposite from her ex-husband. Little details of his whereabouts don't seem to add up lately and she suspects him of dating another woman while dating her. Gosh, I hope she's wrong or she will never trust another man again. I think he forgets that she is wicked smart and can add timetables, too. Here's a hint gentlemen: Over explaining yourself can be a sure sign of guilt.

Made a quick stop at one of my clothing stores. I bought more workout gear on clearance. Four workout pants, two matching windbreaker jackets, one tee shirt and a pair of trouser socks came to a whopping $44. My casual pants usually begin at $55 at this store. These were past the end of the season items from last fall. The store was in full swing for late spring and early summer. Yoga style pants that were $45 were on sale for $4.99. I was super thrilled enough to call Angie in LA to brag about my deals.

My next stop was to get my nails done and check off another box on my Shallowville list. The old man from a few months ago was my nail tech today. He was talkative. I asked him what he had done when he lived in Vietnam. He said he had been an electrical engineer and a lieutenant. Age had been his enemy so he switched to doing nails when he got too old as he said. It was an easy profession to get into coming into the States. We also discussed the Vietnamese restaurant I have been frequenting which he approved and was able to make some other recommendations around the city.

The afternoon dissolved and I found myself hustling to get home so Cabal could be walked, fed and played with before I jumped in the shower. Tawny was having a party tonight with our friends. A couple who used to live here were visiting and staying with them a couple of days. It got loud as the libations were consumed. I had the best time. The only portion that bothered me was the push from the couple visiting for me to consider Dan as a dating option. He's a decent guy, Sarah. Why aren't you guys dating? I never disputed that he was a decent guy and quite frankly, he is a wonderful catch for a single girl.

There must be a rift in the space-time continuum somewhere for this subject to be coming up lately. Have they ever considered that he may not like me? It was as if it was my doing we were not together. Maybe I don't want to be with him either after all the BS in between the 10 years we've known each other. Just because we get along and seem to have this special rapport, doesn't mean we're dating material to each other. Of course, seeing us demonstrate this rapport tonight didn't help. Any dates we've had have been stilted with him not saying a whole lot back. He clammed up. As much as I love to talk, I can't keep the conversation up the whole time; I need feedback. I know our close friends mean well and only want to see us happily enjoying the same kind of happiness they have. Still, I was able to leave the party with a comforting feeling from an evening with great friends topping a day with Sprinkles-filled activities.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: