Saturday, May 10, 2008

Murder Mystery Party

Our famous humidity was in full force this morning during my four-mile walk with Kristey. Seven-thirty in the morning was oppressive. Ugh. Barring the discomfort from heat and encountering a snake on the walk, we made it through okay.

I stopped at the craft store for some last minute items for my costume, namely feathers. Dan's St. Valentine's Day Murder Mystery party was set in the Roaring 20s AKA the age of the flappers, gangsters and Prohibition. Flappers wore feathers on their heads. I also bought a stencil set and blow pens that mimic spray paint with an exhale of air into the tubes. I needed to make signs for the prop boxes of booze I wanted to have on the scene.

Prop boxes were hiding a fog machine.


Outlining Dan's body for the murder scene on his floor was one of the most fun times I've had setting up an event. It took about 15 minutes of me giggling and bumbling around Dan's awkwardly posed body to complete using blue painter's tape. I had to add the weird bump on his bum because he really doesn't have one and it would prove a source of fun by other guests later.



The party was in nine rounds of clues and questioning with breaks in between to let the clues sink in and time for noshing party fare and refilling wine glasses. No one knew if they were the killer until the first round of paper given to their characters. The revealing to everyone was at Round 9.

Ant (as Al Kohol) rented his Zoot Suit.


Ant's wife Rebecca was the quintessential flapper girl Brandy Chaser.


I forgot to take pics during the party so this is only crowd shot I liked of the two I snapped.


Gil T. Azell (Dan) and Al Kohol (Ant) during a break.


More props were on table to set the birthday party of murdered mobster Tommy Gunn (fedora hat, fake cash, poker chips and a cheap cigar...and curlicue sprinkles!).


Ten guests...and the murder(ess) was dancer/singer Roxanne Redlight! She was also a contract killer paid by The Illinois Temperance Society. They wanted to start a gangster war in which they all killed each other.

My self-portrait in the guest bathroom at the end of the night wasn't as flattering as I would have liked it. It looked wilted -- the headband was barely on my head so no feather included, just the ones from the boa. Sigh. Here are the stylized versions anyway.

Let me introduce Roxanne Redlight...


Everyone had great fun in dressing up and playing their characters. We truly played the game for about four hours which went by very quickly. Playing the game was a unique party idea and I highly recommend planning your own Murder Mystery Party. There are already a few themes being bandied about for late June.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Host Party has a great selection but I also like this site http://www.murder-mystery-game.com. I just thought I'd share it with you. I love playing murder mystery characters. I have so much fun because it seems I can do almost anything as that character that I can't seem to do as "myself", ya know?