Monday, May 26, 2008

Making Sweeter Things

I could have written about yesterday but it would have been full of Z's. My body spent the day recovering from weekday insomnia and the activities from yesterday. Sleep was a good thing. Maybe too good. I didn't get to sleep until 2:30am this morning. It was Memorial Day and I had the day off!

Today was activity day. My main objectives were getting my nails done and baking goodies for my boss' return to work tomorrow to show him how much we missed him. Hey...Sometimes being an AGOL is a rough gig with visits to Shallowville and Domesticville...

I thought my salon would be busy at the time of the afternoon I went, but I was able to be seated right away. My next stop was to pick up some candy melts for the Chocolate Cookie Truffles and Peanut Butter Cookie Truffles. Three ingredients each on the truffles -- you can't beat that for something tasty and super easy to make! There is an online blogger named Bakerella who has been featured on my evil queen Martha Stewart's show for her goodies including these truffles. I didn't take a picture of mine because I forgot (I know!). By the time I made almost 100 balls and placed them completed and cooled into mini baking cups, I was worn out.

Baked some cupcakes; the decoration on top wasn't what I had planned on but the shop I went to ran out of the colors I wanted for the chocolate melts. Settled for different colored sprinkles I already had at home. I barely piped these chocolate flowers on top. Not my best but it did the trick. It was colorful and that's all that mattered to me. My frosting was whipped in my mixer for almost 20 minutes for a light and fluffy texture. It is a bakery recipe that doesn't taste too sweet and is super smooth, but still carries a wonderful flavor.



A quick call to Tawny had me running samples of the truffles over for she and Jeff to try. They were a hit! Tawny reminded her husband why she needs her food processor (for the cookies) so she can make some of these truffles, too.

Gosh, I love to bake and decorate...and cook. I need a kitchen worthy of my love of cooking. Too bad the ones getting them are the ones that can barely cook/bake. Meanwhile, the rest of us who can cook/bake have to momentarily suffer through postage stamp kitchens with hardly any counter space. Yes, we artists must suffer for our art. Sigh.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: