Friday, May 16, 2008

Straight Answer

Was that a yes or no? I texted Rob this morning as a follow-up to the one from yesterday afternoon to find out if he wanted to have a Vietnamese lunch with Bridget and me today. We knew he was not taking his doctor's orders well. Dropping out of this weekend's Half Ironman race, needing recovery time and ramping back up to his current physical level would preclude him from three to four other races coming up.

He called me about a half hour later sounding really dejected. Today wasn't a good day for lunch although he would love to torture Bridget and me. By the time we ended our conversation with me teasing him about disappointing his girls, he asked if I could give him about a couple of hours to rearrange his doctor's appointment in the afternoon. Both he and Bridget were on the injury list for their respective sports. This was my argument on why exercise and sports were bad for you. Just kidding!

I got into work feeling bubbly and hoped it would hold the whole day. Rob was telling me he wasn't able to make it as Bridget was IM'ing me the same thing. One thing Rob can't stand is disappointing people. I said okay. Wouldn't you know it, he IM'ed back that he could go quickly if we drove ourselves instead of him picking us up so we could arrive and leave when we wanted. His schedule was tight and the Vietnamese joint was a bit away from work. I took his order which would be placed when he called me as he left work.

Rob finally joined us. Bridget and I were finishing our meal while he dove into his. I ordered extra jalapenos for him just like he requested. Damn -- a couple of them apparently really spicy. He was sweating from that or the edgy ribbing he was receiving from Bridget and me. We laughed a good bit. I knew his disappointment on his hip injury wasn't going to last long. He mentioned something about getting a new bike to cheer him up.

It was a two hour lunch for Bridget and me, a fact lightly remarked upon by our temp as we walked in. When I came in from doing whatever I was doing this morning, you guys were gone. I took this as you've been gone at least an hour and half (at least). We're salaried employees, we can occasionally do this, I wanted to scream. You know what our temp was doing this morning? Getting a device installed on her car that requires her to blow into a tube for five seconds to test her breath for alcohol before it allows her or anyone who drives her vehicle to start it. This device also has random tests during the drive to make sure no has imbibed after the initial start. I guess they suspect flasks lurking under the seat cushion for anyone who has come to that point of having (to be required by the insurance company) to install this device. Sad really.

Spent an hour before taking off work talking to Sharon with Amy about motivational (non-monetary) ideas for a committee she's on. I have some experience in this arena and happily shared my ideas. Put a stop quickly to Sharon thinking she could volunteer me for her committee. I wasn't born yesterday -- I know how committees work.

Had dinner with Myrna and drank a tasty Margarita since she was driving. Everything on her end seems to be coming up roses: personally and professionally. Finally! Made her almost lose her breath from laughing too much. I showed her the murder mystery party pics on my laptop and other ones she's missed out on after dinner. Begged off at 11pm so I could gather my marbles, decompress and set my alarm for walking with Kristey in the morning.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: