Monday, February 25, 2008

Rubbing Chopsticks

This was the first day of my new work route at the other corporate building. I had to drive earlier to ensure a parking spot in the godforsaken garage. It is!

Rob called me on the way. He was dropping off his daughter at her school. He regaled me with his family weekend and a strange anthropology lesson that had me laughing so hard I forgot about the evil traffic. He was also calling me to confirm that I was still taking him out for his 41st birthday which was on Saturday...Took myself to the 4th floor in the new place and easily found a spot near the elevator. I grumbled the whole way.

I arrived at my cube to discover the ports for my network connectivity were not turned on and there were also not enough ports to hook up my printer to the network so that my boss and two other teammates could print to it. AND...big AND...my cube map from Friday was not followed. I called Tawny's son who works for our desktop department. He was on his way in, but asked if I could call in a helpdesk ticket so he could come over this morning and reposition everything. (Yes, it had to be feng shui'd today. I cannot have my back towards the cube entrance.)

My workday was not completely hosed thanks to my wireless card and could connect to work via the Internet. The connection sucked when I attempted to open multiple applications that took up bandwidth. Grrr. I tried to smooth my feathers by decorating my cubicle with vibrant colors. The putty colored walls of my cube were depressing and I was not going to live with it for even one day.

Welcome to the Luau Lounge where Luau Happens:


That is just a collage of quick snaps. I have to wait until everything is settled before I rearrange a couple more things. Hands down, I have the most wildly colored cube on the whole floor. It could be called tacky if you're brave enough to say it to me. There were eight brightly colored leis placed everywhere, too. Do you see the party streamers, hula dolls and mylar palm tree? Right now all we need to make my luau happen (sans food) is a blender for Mai Tais and Pina Coladas. Notice the first square with the novelty pinball game? It became a sought after item. I get one too? Cool! I saw Amy playing with hers and now I have one. I received an instant message from one that said, "I just played with mine and I suck at this game." LOL The Finance Department needs my section. We need to rub off some fun on them.

Had an enjoyable lunch with Rob at a Japanese place for his birthday. He wanted to eat at a place that had chopsticks and show off his knowledge of chopstick etiquette. I pulled them apart (perfectly, of course!) and rubbed them against each other to take off any sharp or loose shreds of wood. I didn't observe the other stuff because I am not cracked on this like my lunch buddy. He had a Sashimi Bento and I had Teriyaki Salmon Bento. The lunch wasn't over until we drove by a metal dragon sculpture installed on a building's roof and had a crazy ride around the airport garage at breakneck speeds and around the airport back roads in his sports car. All men are 12 years old, always wanting to show off their toys. It was much needed relief from a hectic morning.

I almost forgot about a two-hour conference meeting which was surprisingly informative. The rest of the afternoon was a dud as I couldn't get the help I needed to get connected to the network normally. I even called Tawny to help intervene and escalate.

Spoke to my cousin Angie twice - once on my way home and later she called me. I shared my day before begging off to catch up on my blog and make my way to sleep early. It was a full day.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: