Saturday, February 23, 2008

Nurse AGOL

I could have spent the day languishing in bed. Exhaustion wafted around my mind and being like a lazy specter. Too soon it was time to take a shower and wash off the lingering fog. I had a very important mission today: Sitting with Nan.

My uncle had called to confirm the time they would need me and also to inform me that my cousin Gary was at home suffering from the flu. Great, I thought. My worry was for naught because he slept most of the time as did Nan.

Nan's memory was a challenge for her this evening. Her sleeping schedule was a bit off which made her a bit off, too. She declined dinner when I offered it to her because she had already eaten...and she hadn't. Fifteen minutes later, I informed her that she would be having dinner so she could stomach her all her medications. It sounded sensible to her and she agreed.

We also played a scene a few times over with her coming from using the restroom and her informing me that she would go to bed. Thirty minutes later, she would be awake, get up and do the same thing again. I just said the words that would placate her over and over again. Some would find this an exercise in patience, but I just looked at her through loving eyes and did what I needed to be done...I gave this 94-year old gentlewoman well-deserved respect and love. She kept informing me that I would make a good nurse.

My aunt and uncle came home later in the evening where we continued our catching up on each others lives for a bit before I heard my own bed calling to me again. Remarkably, I didn't suffer from night blindness driving home that late...
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: