Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Triple Threat

How far should you include your boss in your life outside your cube walls? Bridget has already had him at two of her derby bouts and today we had him at the gym with us. He doesn't need to lose weight, but he does need to improve his fitness level especially to improve his higher than normal cholesterol count for a forty-year old.

You should have seen us. It was me, Bridget and my boss in a row taking up all the treadmills. I was walking briskly, Bridget was running and our boss was half running half walking while he was engaged in a conversation with a lady on the elliptical machine next to him. He added his own commentary to ESPN on TV, too. He talked for most of the 30 minutes in the gym. I am not sure whether he was just nervous or disliked being silent unto himself. Today may be his first and only foray into the gym; it was less than enjoyable for him physically. He ate right after and experienced heartburn. (Shaking my head.)

I stayed late at work to finish up some things. Tomorrow was my telecommute from home. As I was wrapping it up a little after 7pm, I received a text message from Dan asking if I would help him plan the party. Oh. My attention was certainly arrested. Years like layers of veils parted away and memories of being in that role of planner were revealed once again. Why now?

I texted back sure and that I was just leaving work and would call him on my drive home. He replied that he was meeting with our old boss and would contact me later. It was about 9pm when he texted me that he was ready. I called and asked him what he had in mind before adding my own ideas for atmosphere and props. You have to understand, it takes no time for me to plan events complete with food, theme and props. This situation with us was not the norm and hasn't been for six years. (There is more to this that I am not willing to explore online.) On a more upbeat thought, my creativity was sparked to life again and all the guests should have a great time.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: