Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Healthy Attractions

Sometimes I feel like a pack mule when I make my way from garage to the my building. My handbag can double as small carry-on luggage if I really wanted to use it that way. (Just kidding.) It weighs about five pounds. We can add my laptop bag and peripherals inside the bag. Then there is my gym bag with workout gear which is made heavier by my lunch and water bottles. I carry this set most everyday and up a couple of flights of stairs inside my building. Today when I reached the top of the stairs to my floor, I wasn't out of breath at all. Was that elation I felt?

Bridget was telecommuting today so I worked out by myself. Being in such closed quarters with perfect strangers, I found myself struck by unusual shyness and turned up my music louder to focus on my own efforts. When I began to perspire, I used my yellow hand towel to dab my face. I set it back and not securely enough. As if in slow motion, I watched it drop on the belt of the treadmill and pass by my feet onto the floor. Just great, I thought. Here I am at the zenith of my workout that is certain to produce copious amounts of perspiration and my towel was on the floor behind me. Grrr.

The towel lay on the floor for several minutes while I wiped sweat off my face with my hand and on my clothing. I stared daggers at the reflection of a man behind me lazily moving from one machine to another and admiring his own reflection in the other mirrors. He had looked at my general direction but made no move to retrieve the towel for me. An imaginary dark plot in my brain began to take form. I was wishing the mirrors would shatter when he admired himself and that the machines would come alive and attack him. Before my imagination could really get out of control, a handsome stranger came by my left side and handed me my towel. Uh, thank you. Okay, maybe that was worth the wait. Chivalry was not dead -- struggling to breathe but not dead. I thanked him again as I passed by him after my workout. He smiled and said "no problem" in a heart-stopping voice. Oh, Lordy...

In the afternoon, my Filipino friend Sharon and I tried our hands at matchmaking. It's not what you think but the usual steps were employed as if it were a romantic vein. This was to set up my friend Rob with her friend Rick as biking buddies. Both are competitive, same height, military background and they rode miles on their bikes. We exchanged their e-mail addresses for them and hoped for the best on their first date. Ha.

I made my way to Tawny's place after 9pm to pick up the tub of sugar cookie dough I bought from Lisa's daughter's school fundraising drive. I called ahead and asked (more like ordered) Tawny to fire up her oven to sample a few scoops. They tasted better straight from the oven instead of waiting for them to cool down. No taste buds were harmed.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: