Saturday, April 12, 2008

Heart Rate Monitor

Walking surrounded by nature is a secret pleasure of mine. I only enjoy it when the weather feels good; most of the time my friends and family think I am too prissy to be outdoors. Not today! Kristey met me for our four mile walk and we chatted away. She wants to try and walk again after work one day next week.

I wanted to bring my new Polar F6 heart rate monitor (HRM) on the walk, but I got home too late last night and by the time I wound down, I was too tired. Calibrating this HRM takes concentration. Let me let you know that this is an investment at $110. (Rob has one from Polar that is around $400.) My F6 came with a wrist unit and a coded transmitter that you strap on your chest which sends heart rate signals to your wrist unit. Ooh, Geekville! I couldn't find the new green tea color in town after calling several places. Pink is pretty, too.



Polar has an explanation why you should have a HRM. Here is the American Heart Association guidelines for determining your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR), too. Mostly, I am going to use it as a tool to help me work more efficiently. I read an article where this guy thought he was working hard then found out he needed to step up his activity level. From there the weight he'd been struggling to lose finally started to fall off. Also, this will help me when I plateau and let me know to vary my activities and target zone for my heart rate. Getting geeky about fitness is introducing a whole new set of vocabulary that for sure.

I was able to get a catnap in later in the afternoon which felt wonderful! Normally I catch up on Saturday mornings. Oh - a teaser for you - some time I will let you know what I bought this afternoon that will help in my branding of Sarah Sprinkles for Project AGOL. What could it be, my lovelies?
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: