Monday, April 14, 2008

Tantalized Taste Buds

My first effort to use my new heart rate monitor was a flop. Rob had even pre-coached me to get a reading on something and it still didn't work. I was waiting for a certain beep that never came and it told me that I was working too hard and I hadn't even reached my high speed yet. Frustrated and a bit depressed, I turned off the recording feature and focused my energies on finishing my 30 minutes on the treadmill. I wanted to challenge myself more, but not today. To top it all off, I had forgotten my face towel and my bath towel. Thank God for extra deodorant. Sheesh!

In my mind I knew that it was just "operator error" and I needed to practice working the unit until it was second nature. My setbacks were nothing compared what these guys have to overcome on a day-to-day basis. Meet the world's Oldest Marathoner and a triathlete with no legs named Scott Rigsby. If they can do it, why can't I?

Lunch was better with my version of a Greek salad and, yes, eating it with a set of chopsticks is more rewarding. It can pick up the smaller bits with ease!




The rest of the day was slow and pretty quiet. My boss was a bit erratic, but that is his nature. We were glad he was back from his vacation. The only part I didn't like was when he scheduled a meeting tomorrow during my workout time. I will chalk up tomorrow as an off day -- leaving work around 4pm to watch Nan for my aunt and uncle.

While at my work desk, I had a craving for Latin-style roast pork and the only place I could think of who would have what I needed was a special restaurant. The last time I tried to stop in, it was closed. Now I walked in and had the distinct feeling I was visiting another place. The new owners had the whole place remodeled. The menu was a more sophisticated tapas menu instead of the casual Cuban from the previous owners. They had been open only a week. I decided to give it a go.

I made my selections for takeaway and ordered a glass of wine. I knew it would go to my head, but I didn't care at the moment. The assistant manager began to talk to me while I sat at the bar and asked me if I spoke Spanish since I ordered things with a Spanish pronunciation. I told him I didn't speak it as much as I should and that it was my third language. He asked where I was from and I told him I was part Filipino. Our conversation centered on him mentioning other Filipinos he had met especially through his English language class. He had introduced himself as Rafael and he spoke to me in a combination of English and Spanish.

My order was soon ready and Rafael told me in Spanish using his soft-spoken voice that they would wait for my return. Charming thing. The delicious aroma wafting from my takeaway bag began to tease my nostrils as I made my way to my car. I couldn't wait to enjoy the contents.


[Clockwise - Top Left: Sopa de Garbanzo (Garbanzo Soup); Salmon Glazeado (Honey glazed salmon fillet in honey mustard dill sauce; Sopa de Frijol Negro (Black Bean Soup); Platanos Maduros (Ripe Plantains). All from Bamboleo Tapas Bar & Grill on Fowler Avenue near USF.]

The food was well-made. The garbanzo soup was piping hot but I wolfed half down it was so tasty. I might have burned some taste buds. Worth the injury I must say. The salmon was well seasoned and moist. Their black beans were in the Cuban way with bits of green pepper and dashes of cumin which gave it a distinct smoky flavor. (I reheated some jasmine rice to go with it.) The plantains were sweet and very yummy. My whole meal was so good "it would make you slap your mama"! Saved half for lunch tomorrow to relive all deliciousness...
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: