Sunday, April 06, 2008

Rain Sweet Rain

For the first time in recent memory, we had rain all day and not just during the night. Cabal and I walked the rain together without umbrellas a couple of times. I loved it.

The Philippine Festival was this weekend and I completely blew it off. Tawny had invited me to the Renaissance Festival and I turned her down, too. Good thing I declined either event or I would have been covered in mud since both venues were outdoors. Maybe next year?

Trish beat me today by calling me first. She's been mourning the loss of her grandmother who succumbed to her complications from her hospital stay and medications a week ago. Grams was for all intents and purposes Trish's mom and best friend. Her own estranged mother has suffered mental illness which has worsened over the years.

I let her talk and tell me from start to present everything that had transpired. One of the coolest things she and her sister did was prepare their grandmother's body for viewing. Trish used her make-up artist skills and her sister used her hairdressing skills to transform Grams into a beautiful woman again. It sounds macabre, but I felt that it helped them begin to move through the process of grieving. They "talked" to her while they honored her to make sure she looked her best. Now only time will gift them more healing.

The rain continued to fall through the evening, gently nourishing the thirsty earth and washing away more dead leaves that had fallen on the sidewalk. Aah, rain.
.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: