Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pronation? No, Prosprinkles

Shin splints are annoying. Getting them this time was my fault. I tend to skip stretching after the brisk walking and I haven't made the trip to the specialty running store for proper fitting on my shoe needs...

There was an athlete on the next treadmill over at lunch. I watched him increase the incline to level 11 and increase the speed to get him running at warp speed. Ugh. He said he was trying something new in his training. I don't mind him trying something out but droplets of his sweat were flinging on either side of him. Normally I might appreciate his efforts, but not when my shins hurt. I pushed myself through the discomfort.

Talked to Rob about this new development. He said that I may be suffering from overpronation or over striding. Before I knew it, I was sending him pictures from my phone showing him the wear on the underside of my shoes and the side views. He gently reminded me about a proper shoe fitting at this place at the mall behind us. They provide videotaped gait analysis and blueprints of your feet. I must say that all this science appeals to my geeky side...

Remember I spoke about my friend Sam on Saturday? Well, he and I have been catching up on 19 years of absence in each other's lives. I had asked him about our friend John. They had a falling out several years after high school and he had no contact with him either. He found him on myspace today and left him a note. I had to create another myspace account to message him, too. We're hoping he responds very quickly. Meanwhile I will try to minimize my shin splints.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

badgerdaddy said...

Do the shoe fitting, it's amazing what a difference it can make. Also, you might try some ice packs on your shin splints. Might help with both pain and any inflammation.
Keep it up!