Friday, April 18, 2008

Healthy Bits

Yesterday while watching an episode of Oprah on living with less I saw Sigg, Eco-Friendly Reusable Swiss Water Bottles. This is a particular interest to me as I've been using a Brita water-filtering system to fill my plastic bottles instead of buying cases of bottled water and creating waste. Then there was a recent piece on the Today Show that certain plastics used and reused by consumers can pose a health danger. You can check the number at the bottom of the plastic bottle:
Inside the little triangle, you'll see a number, from one to seven. Bottled water is packaged in No. 1. Experts told the Today Show, the numbers 3, 6 and 7 pose the most danger, including cancer risks. Still, a federal panel of experts has some concern that even low levels cause neural and behavioral effects in children and fetuses. All plastics can degrade, especially with harsh treatment, like dishwashing or microwaving-- so you may not want to reuse anything, to the point that it's getting shabby.
After this piece aired, I checked the number on my 1L bottles and my sludge bottle. They all read a 7 which is listed above. Great. I needed an alternative. It came through the Oprah episode showing those Sigg bottles. I will order two of the 1L and two of the 20oz in the next couple of weeks. The smaller bottles will be for my mini backpack I take on my walks in the woods. My sports drink can be replaced by water. I also carry my cell phone in the front pocket and my keys inside. By shouldering this bag, I can leave my hands free.



I am not a tree hugging hemp wearing wench, but I am slowly doing my part in being more green. Processed food is almost non-existent in my cupboard which means less packaging waste. Most of those kinds of products are a cheap way to eat and I am no longer cheapening the quality of my food. Perhaps on another post I will list my other green ways.

.......................
Nan Update: My uncle sent an updated note stating that they will be placing Nan in an assisted living facility nearby during their vacation to Hawaii.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: