Sunday, September 16, 2007

Two Families and Kissing Shrimp

This morning was a retake of The Saturday Four, but it almost never was. Kim was really late and caught me on the phone as I was about to leave the parking lot. I waited for her and we hustled two miles in case her migraine came back in full force.

Spent a couple of hours by myself before getting ready to visit my aunt and my cousin Ida. It was the first day styling my hair with the new color and I have to get used to seeing myself with dark brownish red hair. Tried taking pictures, but I wasn't satisfied with them. I apologize, but I will post one or two tomorrow for Tuesday viewing...

My aunt wasn't home when I called her so I called Ida to see if she was ready for me. She had called me yesterday on the way to the salon to ask if I could help with her Internet connection. Like I was the computer whiz. Somehow one of the twins was doing research for a school assignment and they lost Internet connectivity. I think it was their fiber optic connection and a tech was supposed to call back.

Had a quick lunch with them and danced around my cousin's husband's suggestion of meeting this guy. They mean well and I didn't want to hurt their feelings so I told them I wasn't ready to date anyone, but would let them know. I'm not the kind of woman who can jump from one person to the next as quickly as others. Never had someone waiting in the wings either just in case the other wasn't working out. Just not built that way. Guys are better at it than women, I think. They are more machinelike in that sense.

Drove to my aunt's to meet Nan's sister Aunt Wilma and was surprised to see the telltale minivan parked in the front. Inside was gonna be loud with kiddies. I got excited.

Baby Colton was just a pickle today. I took almost a dozen shots and this was the best one.


My aunt with an order of Fresh Lumpia a friend was picking up.


Kristen and Carter harvested some calamondin from Lala's (that's what they call my aunt, their grandmother) tree outside. They were dressed in Chinese style clothing my aunt and uncle bought while they were in Chinatown in Galveston a few weekends ago. There is always plenty of activity at my aunt's house for them and today was no different.

Here they are making Filipino lemonade with Splenda under Lala's supervision. Kristen wanted the coconut (she would later grate using a Filipino grater) in the pic, too.


I couldn't believe they were carrying these shrimp around and making them kiss for this AGOLrazzi. They helped Lala peel them and take the heads off before she made delicious tempura out of them. With both of their grandmothers being Filipino: shrimp happens.


Kristen picked this three-pound mango from Lala's tree outside and Auntie Sarah got to take it home. My precious...


My aunt sent me home with my mango and a papaya from her backyard, too. Little Philippines is located over there. I stayed longer than I wanted because of dinner and today I didn't mind. Even traffic home with some of the road closures didn't bother me either. I drove home in the early evening storm with the radio blasting.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: