Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Stormy Darkness

Blurry of flurry of activity or was that flurry of blurry of activity? Huh? I don't get it either, but you know what I mean. That's how it went, but this time without weird nerve stuff.

Nemesis Vendor sales rep had to suffer through my director, my manager and me while we went up and down both floors so he could itemize things that still needed to be done. How many techs does it take to install the rest? Now we need an additional systems analyst? Good grief. My manager and director roasted him for a while. It was nice. (Evil Kitty in the house...)

Thanks to yesterday and not having my usual list, I had to go back to grocery store for something I missed and needed after work. Rushed home to walk my doggie and beat the fierce storm coming around.

Around 8pm, the thunder was getting so loud, it startled me and drove the dog nuts. I was in the middle of eating some more Flip food when the lights cut out. I cursed for a full minute (at least) then my aunt called me. She asked what was the matter with me. I said, The lights went out, the dog is going crazy, I am trying to finish my meal and you're calling me. She then told me she would make it in a hurry. You know she didn't...Aargh. This 4'10" (and shrinking) of Filipina dynamite will be the death of me, I swear.

Finally, I used my phone's bright display to navigate my way through my apartment trying to light all the tealights around my apartment and adding more around to brighten it. Cabal kept following me and I almost tripped a few times. Just what I needed, tripping over him with candles in my hand. Soon the soft glow of candlelight was everywhere. Anyone looking in would think I just had the table lamps on for ambiance.

I finished my dinner, settled on the sofa and spoke to Angie in Los Angeles for a short bit. My apartment is very cool so I knew the heat would not penetrate the coolness for a long while. Cabal and I sat quietly until I got the urge to take the pictures below. I started out using the flash. Can you imagine seeing that from outside the apartment? Switched the settings to use no flash and produced the pics below.

Candle in one corner of my bedroom.


I love this tealight holder in the bathroom. It glows a lava ring on the counter.


One of three plaques on the ledge from the entrance to the kitchen. It is also one of the characters on my back. I like the shadow play from the tealight.


It's times like these that remind me so much of life in the Philippines as a little girl where we would have brown outs as opposed to black outs because it would only last for a little bit. We always had tapered candles on hand. We would be outside talking to each other or the neighbors and maybe even play cards in the soft glow. The brown outs weren't always during rain storms like this evening. There would almost be a sigh of disappointment when the lights would go back on. It dispelled the intimacy that had been created, revealing real life once more.

I love replaying those memories. Tonight I was able to take a short nap before the lights came back on. For an hour, I was a little island girl again.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: