Saturday, September 08, 2007

Happy Asian Comforts

Giddily anticipated doing The Saturday Four this morning. The weather was cooler and not the steam bath it has been during these walks. Kim met me for a quick version. She slept on her back wrong and I had my hair appointment. More cars were driving around than there were available spaces by the time we made it back. Felt the pressure to vacate; it was a popular destination this morning.

Went home, had a small breakfast and played with Cabal before getting ready for my hair appointment. When I arrived, I told her I wanted my hair darker and she said that she didn't have time today but I could pick out what I wanted. I settled on a Dark Blond Mahogany Brown which my current highlights will still show through but with some red and brown tint. Basically the chestnut lift I am looking for. Even if she had the time, she didn't have enough product. She had one bottle and my hair would take three! I have thick hair and lots of it. Next Saturday I have another appointment with her.

My Korean hairdresser Michelle. Sometime I will tell you the story of her life. If you know of a more mature intellectual gentleman who is single, she's game. She's recently divorced, stands 5'4" on a good day without her high heels, old enough to be my mother, owns her own business, outrageous and amazingly sweet.


Bought some tropical smoothie with mango and boba (large tapioca pearls) right after my hair appointment and called Tawny to see if she and her hubby wanted to go to lunch. She declined since their plans were already set in motion. Set off for getting my nails done instead.

My tour through Asia today led me to my Vietnamese nail technician who, in the middle of doing my hands, cajoled me into getting a spa pedicure. I only agreed since she would be the one doing it. There's something to be said about looking down and seeing your toes cute again with bright deep reddish fuchsia color. While I sat on the spa chair having my feet done, her brother came over and continued working on my hands. I did feel like a goddess. It's been a long time since I've felt that way. We givers tend to forget ourselves since we're too busy making sure everyone is taken care of and having a good time.

The afternoon was beginning to wear and I was famished -- on to the Chinese-owned Asian Store. They had some cooked offerings and I was grateful to not have to cook or settle for a sucky lunch. Bought a whole tilapia fish and cooked blue crab to go with my rice at home. Picked up a few more things before breaking down and driving over to the Philippine Store for some ready made veggies. Felt guilty for not supporting my own Asian people. (I stopped short of going to a German restaurant to complete my cultural heritage.)

My Asian treasures from my adventures today. So deeeelicious! Will be feasting on these the next few days.


Tawny told me that Kathy hadn't been feeling well. Called her to make sure she was okay and she was indeed feeling better. I regaled her with my Asian tour. I think she enjoyed hearing me joyful and giggly. It's been a while and I am determined to sustain it tomorrow.

Being around Asian immigrants made me happy today. It's this invisible camaraderie because you know how life is in your mother country and knowing that no matter how hard life gets here, it is still worth the agony and hard work. Our sense of humor takes over because crying is a waste of time when some things are out of your control. You cope by turning the sad parts into outrageous caricatures which makes you laugh the sadness away and everyone shares in that laughter. From my experience, Asians have the most outrageous sense of humor, usually bordering on the bawdy. It's all good.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: