Saturday, April 07, 2007

Holy Incense, AGOL!

Oh, Sweet Saturday -- how you've teased me all week! So happy you're here, my friend!

Enjoyed a talk with Yummy before he met a friend who was visiting him for the day. I was so delighted to talk to him in less stressful tones...

Caught up on my blog and forced myself to take a nap for an hour before I prepared to leave for an evening of Easter festivities. I managed to squeeze in almost another hour of talk time with Yummy (30 minutes turned into 45 minutes - so addicted to this man!). Afraid I was going to be late since I still had to stop at the gas station, but I was more than on time.

My cousin Ida's kids received their first communion and were confirmed into the Catholic church tonight. I agreed to become their sponsor since I am the only one my cousin knows who has been through the same thing and can be there for them as they receive their sacraments.

I am not a practicing Catholic for I have found my own peace with my worship of God especially having spent years being an active member of the church. I am a spiritual person, but I do not subscribe to religion as a whole nor the ideologies of The Church. Yummy and I have discussed this and he teased me that the crosses in the church would start turning once I entered it or the water fountains filled with holy water would start bubbling (a la Devil's Advocate with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves). I half wondered myself, but they didn't move a smidge!

The twins looked great in their sea green dresses and their older brother Will looked grown-up in his white dress shirt under a black suit. It seemed only yesterday I had an infant William laying on my chest sleeping while I reclined on my uncle's chair.

This evening I helped Will put on his black silky tie. It had been a while since I had tied a man's tie, but it's like riding a bike, I guess. The psychological leap from an infant William to a 16-year old Will was throat constricting. I could feel pinpricks of tears come on.

Thankfully, I was diverted by a funny story of Cristina receiving unconsecrated wafer during rehearsal this morning. She received the wafer, got it stuck on the roof of her mouth and held her finger up to the priest as if to say hang on and then proceeded to dislodge the wafer with her finger while she was still in front of the priest. I pointed out that it was a faux pas and she cringed, covered her eyes and said her favorite curse word: Oh, biscuits!

We ate a good dinner before the long Easter service at a small family restaurant across from St. Anne's in Ruskin. Having a hearty meal beforehand really helped make the experience more bearable. The service started at 8:30pm and continued until 11:00pm with the acrid and the long-time familiar scent of incense woven throughout the service. We sat in the front and it was all I could do not to succumb to a coughing fit. All in all, it was beautiful and quite pleasant to watch the kids receive their sacraments.

My aunt ended up making the service which made the evening more special for all of us. I didn't even know she was going to try to make it. Afterwards I drove my aunt's vehicle to Ida's house so I could get my car and for us to enjoy some cheesecake and coffee with the family.

I finally made it home at 1am with Angie in California talking to me on the way home so she could make sure I got home safely. Home sweet home. Took care of Cabal, jumped online to wind down reading blog bits before making quick headway to bed for sleep well-earned.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: