Thursday, April 05, 2007

Under the Gun

Never knew that the words bleak and ugly could be a mantra. There must be worse words to use, right?

Being under the gun more so than any other day of recent time has taken its toll on me. I decided to empower myself by writing a letter to HR to express my frustration. I didn't point fingers or anything. I blind-copied Tawny who said that it was a good move.

I received a response from that later in the afternoon from an HR generalist. I was invited to her office to discuss my note. She asked me what my thoughts were and I gave them to her. She said that the SVP and HR director had tried to come up with some solutions or changes in processes. I vehemently expressed that it wasn't the process but the lack of bodies to accomplish tasks. Including my boss, we were three individuals doing the job of seven.

Ever since the cutoff from our previous company after the buyout, things have snowballed because of the lack of additional personnel. My SVP doesn't really understand the process and how much effort is expended to accomplish things even working double-time. I have the feeling she is starting to though.

The pressure lessened a bit in the afternoon, but I was still miserable. My smile quotient for the day was closer to nil. Other people began to notice my less than sunshine demeanor. For them it was a sign that things were really bad. Some expressed their want to help, but didn't have the authority or training to do so. I can usually crack a self-pitying joke in the face of adversity, but I have none at the moment.

My bright moments were my morning skype session with Yummy and our IMs during the day. Stargazer lilies in my floral arrangement were beginning to smile and show off their blooms. I received many compliments on the flowers especially when their fragrance wafted a few cube aisles away.

Tomorrow is Friday. Whether it will be good or not is another matter.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: