Monday, April 30, 2007

AGOL Takes UK: Liking Lewes

Anton made a hearty recommendation for breakfast at Bill's Produce Store, kind of a produce farmy place with a killer deli and food action. Yummy took us there so we could "strap on the nosebag". How vivid.

We had breakfast there...big breakfast. While Yummy had a solid protein English breakfast of sausages, eggs, etc., I had pancakes with ice cream on top and lots of lovely fresh fruit! As much as I love ice cream, I didn't like it on the pancakes. The pancakes were also heavy not light and fluffy. Not bad, just different. Jeezus the coffee was strong too! Would try it again because I am enthralled with the atmosphere.

Their glass cases had the most beautiful arrangement of food. I was able to snap a picture before a lady behind the counter told me that pictures were not allowed. How the heck do you expect people to share the experience if you don't take a dadblurmed picture? Besides, I could buy one of each and rip off the design if that was my nefarious plan... Oh, a plate of brownies was below all the flowers and such.



Our excursion today took us via train to the charming town of Lewes. Yummy was very excited to explore this town near him. We set off walking in the town, but realized later it may be the wrong way to visit Anne of Cleves's House. A high school age boy was able to point us in the proper direction.

I am not used to sidewalks and I was busy gawking when I took a trip of my own. Unfortunately, I landed on my (bad) right knee and developed a bruise later on my right hand. I just brushed it off and kept going. Time to investigate later. Too many more things to see!

The following are some of the streets in Lewes.





Funny sign. Yummy read it, chuckled, shook his head and moved on while this ghoulish girl took the photo.


St. John the Baptist was yet another church that beckoned us in and this one had a rectory dating back to 1255!




Ancient church with modern technology creeping in the ceiling on the right beam.


I love church organs and these pipes just looked old!


Who is this gorgeous angel guarding the door?


Finally made it to Anne of Cleves House. Anne was the fourth wife of Henry VIII. She accepted the annulment offer and received a yearly stipend of at least £4,000 in the 16th century. Yes, she was a smart cookie...didn't have to lose her head.




I was able to grab a map of Lewes before we left Anne's, but nothing prepared us for stumbling into what seemed like a secret garden. Disney grass was everywhere! The colors on flowers and trees were just breathtaking.

We sat on a bench further in just happily enjoying people watching. There were moms and prams, various ages of school children in uniform running amok, adults sitting on other benches or on chairs they brought themselves.







We stopped at an antique bookstore called Bow Windows Bookshop. I was able to see a mini two-volume Lord Byron collection that cost £105! They were beautiful though. The whole place was just eye candy.

Yummy saw one of his favorite clothing shops and found out there was one in Brighton he could go to when he wanted. My personal shopper skills kicked in and Yummy came away with a nice striped long-sleeved shirt and a thin navy pull-over sweater. Both were on sale, too!

The day was wearing and we decided to just head for a pub and eat dinner later at home. It wasn't 5pm yet so no rush at the pub. I had my customary 1/2 pint while Yummy had his full pint. It was nice to let our dogs rest even in good walking gear.

Made it to the train station and got home where I could smell the bean jar that he had simmering in the oven for hours while we were gone. Yummy used a traditional ceramic bean jar from his beloved island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands.

When he was a lad, the homes nearby would assemble their bean jars and carry them to the local bakery where they would all cook for hours in the residual heat from the stone ovens, usually on a Saturday night. On Sunday, someone would be sent to fetch the cooled bean jar to have with breakfast. Yummy's granddad Dave made these trips for the family.

Nowadays, Yummy has altered the recipe for "herby goodness". He uses two different kinds of white beans that he soaks for hours and boils for one hour before adding chopped onion and garlic. In addition, he tosses in small pieces of pork and herbs like sage, thyme, parsley and whatever herbs are at hand plus pearl barley and a few lentils. The key is to slow cook it in the oven to meld the flavors together.

Yummy served us piping hot bowls of it with pieces of brown bread and white pepper to add ourselves. He loves it with a ton of white pepper. I was a little reticent at first, but he was right on the extra white pepper. We both had second bowls. I've been looking forward to this beany goodness for months! He made my mouth water every time he mentioned it.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: