Tuesday, April 24, 2007

AGOL Takes UK: Arundel Castle

The train took us to the mystic town of Arundel where the famed Arundel Castle has stood and been added onto for centuries. Very English indeed! Before our castle explorations, we stopped for a few mini adventures.

We were able to stand on a bridge over the River Arun when we arrived. I just loved the setting. You can see the castle on a hill as you entered the town of Arundel.



We walked near an entrance to Arundel castle but realized it was not the main entrance for our explorations. Since we were up the hill, we decided to walk around and see what else was nearby. Our first stop was The Cathedral Church of Our Lady & St. Philip Howard built in the late 1800s which is not very old considering this is England.

The cathedral's beauty was reflected both inside and outside. My eyes feasted on as much architecture I could see. Churches no matter what denomination have always held a special place in my heart. The only other church this big I've ever seen was Holy Name Cathedral when I lived in Chicago.

I lit three candles while Yummy explored inside and I sat down in one of the front pews and prayed silently until he joined me. We also stopped at the much smaller Parish Church of St. Nicholas. Yummy pointed to the floor where old grave stones were used to pave the floor. How creepily resourceful of them!




One thing you can count on in England is the scattering of funny road signs in the least likely places like the one below. The next picture is of a nice road, but please let me point out the Chinese restaurant at the right corner. Is it me or can you always find Chinese food even in the most remote places in the world? It's almost up there with Starbucks and McDonald's. Personally, I would choose the Chinese restaurant, but not this day.



We ended up at a very quaint tea room called Belinda's 16th Century Tea Rooms where I had my first official Fish and Chips and Yummy ate Steak and Kidney Pie. I wasn't brave enough to try his even though the presentation was beautiful with an array of colorful vegetables surrounding the pie. The skin was still on my fish which is unusual in the States, but it was just more flavor for me!

Bolstered by our lunch, we set our internal compasses for the castle. We somewhat followed the map given and just let ourselves loose. We were everywhere that was not cordoned off: spiraling up and down mini stone staircases, exploring the Keep and Dungeon, marveling at the furniture and the decor in the rooms, asking guides questions who were happy to answer and say to you "Pleasure" after giving them thanks. I was in Castle Heaven.

I've noticed a significant amount of walls (not just in the Castle or Arundel) these flint stones embedded in the walls which fascinated me to no end.


The next set is but a few examples of this magnificent castle. The lion flanking the entrance by the bridge/moat reminded Yummy of the Narnia movie. I just loved the grass that reminded me for some reason of Disney films with their sprinkling of daisies everywhere. Yummy was taking nature shots for a project of his.






The last big room we explored was the library. The entrance enticed you to come inside and swoon with ecstasy at its contents. It was my favorite room among all the dozens we passed through.

This incredible library was two stories of rich burgundy red fabric curtains, glossy dark wood staircases and spindles, and rows and rows of antique spines encased behind glass with crisscross metal lines on them. If the leather and fabric seating could talk, it would invite you to come stay a while. It is what a proper library should look like.

There were more of the castle grounds to explore but the day was already giving into the evening. I was getting fatigued and maybe feeling jet lag finally. We got home from our castle-full day and ate a light pasta meal that Yummy quickly put together which prepared us for warm apple pie with warm English custard for dessert. I am sure they never ate so richly in the 11th century when the original castle was first built!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: