Monday, March 31, 2008

Quiet and a Bit Mad

Our floor was almost as quiet as a tomb. I forgot Bridget was moving today from her house to an apartment so no out loud conversations with her over our cube walls. My boss was busy and I ignored my temp who accosted me in my cube not even a minute after entering it. Hasn't she heard of letting people breathe and getting settled in first? Grrr. I put my ear buds on from my mp3 player to drown her out the rest of the day.

It wasn't much today really. Rob and I refined my workout more during IM convos. He's heavily training for two upcoming events so his push for himself tends to spill over to Bridget and me. I was able to share with him my findings on some nutritional info which he already knew, but seemed pleased I was discovering. We discussed my goals and he then showed me pictures of muscular Asian women. EW! I said it was unfair to compare me to this women because even for an American woman, I am taller and my arms and legs are much longer. I am 5'8" and my arms will look less stocky with some definition. Besides, my German side would have to have a big say with these childbearing hips. I wasn't blessed with that special petite physique you see in other Asian women. I've long since let go of any jealousy in that area. When you're Eurasian, in the end, you get the best of both worlds.

Tawny invited me over for a quick stop before going home to see the pretty necklaces she was beading while I chowed down on something I picked up on the way. She was also helping me rebuild a bit of my self-esteem.

During a conversation later in the afternoon, I told Tab about how much money I made in which he was incredulous at how underpaid he said I was and called my company cheap, etc. He said I could work less hours and more than double my pay if I were to do something else. I know he was just saying it in a conversation, but I didn't really appreciate it. He was saying he knew people who did less than me who got paid more. No shit? You think? It happens? Really? We all can't get paid the big bucks he has and what others do in his technology position. He made me mad and a little depressed.

I don't know if he recalls me telling him that I have suffered from two layoffs in the last six years. You tend to take what you can get even it if means several thousand dollars worth of pay cut. We're talking Tampa market here. I am not married or living with someone who could float my portion of living expenses while I had the luxury of time to look for something great. You do what you have to do. Visiting Tawny who knows my history and saw her husband and me laid off the same day knows and appreciates having a job that pays to cover expenses helped me feel better. She was the one who hired me in my current company until I transitioned into my current position. Some people really mean well, but their approach could be better. That's a conversation for tomorrow...
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: