Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Intermittent Impairment

Intermittent impairment or at least that's what Tawny kept reporting to our division regarding certain network outages throughout the week. Felt that way myself and that's why I haven't been blogging. It's not that I didn't want to update you, but I just didn't have that figurative pen filled with ink inside.

Monday was Monday...Tuesday was almost a copy except my jokes were hitting the wrong note and not getting the kind of response I normally get. And we're talking all around the world. Bridget was telecommuting from home, too...Wednesday was better because Bridget and I were working together as a team at the office. We picked up Ant at the other building for a Vietnamese lunch. We learned from the afternoon staff meeting that things will get tough at work which means more pet projects coming down the pike...

Today brings us Thursday when it was my turn to telecommute from home. I didn't get to sleep until close to 2am so it was no surprise that I slept through my alarms. I was woken up after 6am by Tab calling on his way to work. It was a bit embarrassing because I am usually awake by at least an hour by the time he called. His Did I wake you? didn't sound too sorry. Catching me off guard is one of his pet hobbies, I think. I wasn't completely alert nor able to formulate any ready smart answers. I yawned once which made him yawn at least three times during our conversation. Ha! Ended up burrowing myself under the covers while he talked and left me with a concise visual image he wanted me to have as I started my day. I dismissed it soon after we bid each other a good day.

Cabal was happy that his mistress was finally up. He is by nature a sheep herder. I am the sheep he herds around the apartment that either gets him closer to food or the door to outside. Sometimes he walks around my legs so closely that if I veer off quickly I start to trip over him or worse - step on his pretty white paws! He doesn't care as long as he herds his sheep.

Logged into work earlier and sifted through e-mails and IMs. It was not a good day in the office. Thank God I was home. I was having no more fun than they were, but I was able to distance myself a bit more. My mind was able to wander back to the visual Tab had left me with earlier in the day. Great. How was I supposed to concentrate on my job if I am lost in visuals that made me squirm? Doesn't he know that paybacks are hell?

Tawny called around dinner time to ask me what I was doing. Cabal was about to be fed. She said that she and her husband were in front of my apartment building ready to take me to dinner. I felt no panic. I was dressed decently, my hair was up and I had some lip gloss on for the day. Sometimes preparation does meet opportunity. In two minutes, I was hopping inside their car to be whisked away for a delicious dinner and the wonderful company of two of my best friends in the whole world. Not working in the same building has caused some minor inconveniences but nothing that cannot be managed through more outings.

I was home in time to make my rum cake for tomorrow's potluck lunch for my department and Accounts Payable as well as watch the culmination of Donald Trump's Celebrity Apprentice. British competitor Piers Morgan won over country singer Trace Adkins. Both charities benefiting from the winnings were very important; however, overall, Piers beat the pants off everyone using his fundraising prowess. It was all in good fun. Sigh. Now to wait for the cake to finish baking, cooling a bit and then drowning of it with the rum/butter/sugar/water mixture. The baking aroma is simply intoxicating. Do you think it will bring me sweet dreams tonight?
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: